Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Brea Jean ~ 8 Months!

Another month down and we are inching closer and closer to that 1 year mark...so hard to believe how fast my last baby's first year has gone. I am trying to enjoy her as much as I can but, if I am being honest, there are times when she is screaming hysterically that I don't. I am working on gaining a better perspective because this is it...no more babies. This is what Miss Brea Jean has been up to:


Nickname(s): Brea Tortellini has taken over.

Biggest Achievement: Starting to crawl!

Biggest Challenge: Napping for longer than 30 minutes.

Firsts: First Valentine's Day! First time crawling!


Likes: Big brother and sister, being held, being talked to, bath time, and eating



Dislikes: Napping, when mommy leaves the room, people invading her personal space, when mommy wipes her nose



Sleep: Sleeping at night has been pretty good. For the most part, Brea sleeps straight through. However, we have had a couple of nights were she has reverted back to her old ways and is up crying in the middle of the night for an extended period of time. Blah! Most of the time, I can put Brea down awake and she will fall asleep without making a fuss. However, there are certainly times where she cries/screams in her crib before finally giving up and falling asleep. She sleeps with a small, light fleece blanket, dog lovey, and at least 5 pacis so regardless of which way she turns in bed she can find one.

Napping has pretty much been terrible. The girl NEEDS sleep but just doesn't do it. She sleeps for about a half an hour at Matt's parents house in the morning and sometimes that long at my mom's in the afternoon. Then she gets extremely cranky before Matt gets home and sometimes needs a snooze before dinner as well. One particularly bad day, she was up from 1:30 until the time she went to bed! I thought for sure she would sleep well that night but NOPE was up for an hour crying. This child is trying to kill me ;). She is just so much happier when she is well rested so this lack of sleep during the day leads to crabbiness. 

The worst part is that I haven't really found what works for her regarding naps. She does nap better at our house in her own crib but that isn't always feasible. Hello, you are baby number three! And everyday I set myself up because I think "today is the day she is going to figure this nap thing out" and then a half an hour later she is up and my dreams are dashed. I should really just accept the fact she is never going to nap, I wouldn't be so frustrated when she wakes up. But there have been times where she has clocked 2 to 3 hour naps so I keep thinking they are in her somewhere :).



Eating: Brea loves to eat! She nurses 4-6 times a day for around 10 to 15 minutes a session. She eats 1 to 1 and 1/2 containers of baby food for lunch and dinner. She has also been eating puffs. She has gotten really good picking them up and getting them to her mouth. However, in order to do this she needs to just have one puff in front of her. If multiple puffs are on her tray she picks them all up and one makes it into her mouth and the others fall in her lap.



Motor Milestones: Brea is extremely close to crawling. She is really good at getting her legs up underneath her but end of sliding backwards instead of moving forward. Planking is a new skill and she is working on going from a laying to a seated position. I believe she did this once at my mom's house as all of the sudden she was sitting up but no one saw how she got there. :) She is much more graceful going from sitting up to laying down. It began with an extreme face plant but now she can smoothly transition.

*Update: I try to jot down Brea notes throughout the month so this post doesn't take me forever to write...I can officially say now Brea is mobile!! On February 13th, she took her first couple crawling "steps" going after one of Isla's books. By the next day, she was developing her newly acquired skill and crawled further. She is not fast yet and it isn't her preferred method to get places but that will only be a matter of time!!



Personality: Temperamental. Remember last month when I said that the 'crying for no reason' thing had died down. Well...not so much. Most of it, I think, stems from the fact that she is tired but refuses to nap. Then I try to force a nap, which does not end well. She is very up and down...she can be belly laughing one second and crying the next. She also escalates very quickly...she goes from whining about something to a full on screaming freak out in like 3 seconds. I can just envision her tantrums when she is older. Girlfriend can SCREAM! She has an extremely high-pitched yell that is ear splitting. We hear you Brea! I have watched her in her crib and when she is just 'complaining/whining' she is laying down but when she shrieks she makes sure to get on her belly and lift her head up and over the bumpers for added emphasis. 

She really can be the sweetest thing and has the biggest/cutest smile. She belly laughs at her brother and sister. She LOVES to be around people. She can get a little cranky between dinner and bedtime when it isn't quite time for bed but she is done for the day. Carter has started swim lessons on Monday and Wednesday evenings and while it is easier for him to just go, I usually have the whole family tag along because Brea is so content to just sit and people watch.

The Superficial: She is petite although not as little as Isla was at her age. She barely  has any hair and the hair she does have is extremely light with the exception of the back, which is slightly darker. She has bright blue eyes. I am still squeezing her into the last of her size 1 Target diapers but will probably buy size 2 the next time. She wears 6-9 month clothing and still only has her two bottom teeth. She has adorable chub on her legs.



Other Notables: Brea has started playing with her ears when she is tired or nursing. Spitting up has decreased slightly however, blowouts have increased.

Sibling Comparisons: Both Carter and Isla were crawling and starting to pull up at this age! Carter had a mouth full of teeth while Isla still had none. Carter was a happy baby and I 'thought' Isla was temperamental however rescinded that statement after Isla got her first ear infection and I saw what crabby Isla was REALLY like. Isla was still getting up once or twice a night for a paci on the regular! But she also was taking at least one hour to hour and a half nap a day. Carter also had a decrease in spitting up and increase in blowouts.




No comments: