Thursday, February 19, 2009

32 weeks & Childbirth Prep

Today I am officially 32 weeks pregnant (8 weeks to go!). I am also officially more pregnant than Katie ever was with Addison :). This fact blows my mind - I cannot imagine having this baby right now I feel so unprepared. The good news is that our crib and dresser/changer are scheduled to arrive on Monday!! Ordering them has been a stressful and frustrating experience but it looks like we will have them within the week. Once we put the nursery together I know I will feel better because I can start organizing all of our baby stuff, which is currently a cluttered mess in our guest bedroom.

In other news, we started our Childbirth Prep class last night! Our instructor is very friendly and knowledgeable (she is a registered nurse and doula). Class was very informative but also a little bit of a reality check for me. I always knew that I was going to have to birth this baby but in a "someday I will have to do it" sort of way. But preparing for it made me realize, oh shit I am really going to have to birth this baby and sometime in the not so distant future!! My cervix is going to stretch from the size of a Cheerio to the size of a bagel! Do you have a nice visual in your head? :) Because it is now burned into my brain!

We have some interesting couples in our class including a couple that is pregnant with twins due the first week in April!! I think Char (our instructor) is secretly hoping she goes into labor during class so we can get some first-hand experience. We also have "A-Dizzle" - I am serious when we went around and Char asked us our names he actually said "A-Dizzle." out loud. twice. His cell phone also rang twice in the span of 5 minutes before his girlfriend/wife/baby mama turned it off for him. All-in-all I think he is going to be a support person for this woman - are you picking up my sarcasm? Because I am laying it on pretty thick! :)

Matt also learned some techniques to comfort me during painful contractions, which included rocking, rubbing my belly and giving me a back massage!! It felt really nice last night but somehow I think it is going to be a little bit different when I am in, you know, actual labor :). I am hoping he retains some of this knowledge because I think when the time comes I will have other things on my mind. Next week I have to bring in a focus object - any suggestions? I wanted to bring Hayden but I was informed that it would have to be an inanimate object - I am just kidding people I didn't consider bringing my dog however; I do think she would be a calming influence.
"You didn't get pregnant with your legs together
and you won't give birth with them together either!
- Char explaining some of the sitting techniques for getting through contractions-

No comments: