Thursday, June 18, 2009

10 weeks er... I mean 11 weeks!

My baby is 10 weeks old today! Okay so after writing this post, Matt informed me that Carter is in fact 11 weeks old. WTH!?

So evidently I missed an entire week of Carter's life without knowing it and apparently I can't read calendars either because my work is having "Casual for a Cause" day - we pay $5 and we can wear jeans/capris - well anyway I thought it was today (6/19) but was informed it is in fact next Friday. So now I am hiding out at my desk, completely embarrassed, and trying to figure out a way to elongate my Bermuda shorts into pants!

Back to your Carter update: he is doing really good and always keeps a smile on our faces.
Carter Memories at 11 weeks:

  • You like to play with your cousin Addison even though she "beats you up" - someday you can return the favor :)
  • You fart like a 50 year old man - it amazes us how something THAT loud can come out of something SO small
  • You are very happy in the morning - even when we have to wake you up for Grandma's house (you must get that from your dad!)
  • You are now in you "big boy" bath (still his baby bath but without the sling) - you didn't really know what to think of it. And while you tush was underwater you made sure to keep your feet above it :)
  • You are still sleeping in your car seat in your crib and we hope to transition you to sleeping on your back at least by kindergarten :)
  • This weekend, you will get to meet your Great Grandma and Grandpa TT, go to your first Steamboat Days and celebrate your first Father's Day!
Other exciting news, we have settled into a new routine that I have been trying after reading the Baby Whisperer. The book was recommended to me by a co-worker and I L.O.V.E. it! It has helped me so much already and I haven't even finished it yet. So new mothers, expectant mothers, go out and read this book immediately. Side note: this book does NOT advocate "feeding on demand" as she believes that feeding on demand leads to a demanding baby... so if this is your mothering style, this book may not be for you. The book, however, does advocate a structured routine NOT a schedule. And she makes it so E.A.S.Y - literally! A baby Carter's age follows this routine (based on 2.5 - 3 hours between feedings):

  • Eat - 25 to 40 minutes
  • Activity - 30-45 minutes
  • Sleep - 30 - 90 minutes
  • Y - You (time for yourself, gasp, while the baby is sleeping)
This is SO helpful especially when it comes to deciphering your baby's cries. Because before when Carter cried I just shoved my boob in his face (he had to be hungry, right?!) But now I know that if he starts getting fussy during his activity period that he is not hungry but tired and needs a nap. I've learned a lot about Carter just in the past week while implementing this routine. For instance, his whimpering cry is his tired cry BUT his "overtired - I needed to be in bed 5 minutes ago" cry er.. shriek is similar to his "feed me already I am starving here" cry.

Also, at night his has a small window in which we have to put him to bed. If we misread his cues and he becomes overtired - WATCH OUT! My sweet baby turns into Linda Blair from the Exorcist - screaming, projectile vomiting, head spinning, cursing... or maybe it is me cursing and my head spinning but regardless it is BAD. And nothing can calm him down, which can lead to a very unhappy baby and very unhappy parents. But now we know if Carter yawns at night we need to start getting him into bed...

I could really go on and on but I will let those who are interested read the book. It has really been a lifesaver for me! If you happen to read/have read it - let me know what you think!


1 comment:

Grete said...

you can't wear casual every Friday? That sucks!