Thursday, June 23, 2011

First Night in the Big Boy Bed!

Well, we finally did it. After numerous times crawling in and out of his crib, we finally put together Carter's big boy bed ( and by 'we' I mean Matt). Carter was so excited to have his big boy bed and was running around his room singing. He loved that he could get out of his bed and turn on his light by himself and he loved jumping on the bed even though we repeatedly told him not to. :)

I figured he would be less than thrilled to actually sleep in the bed and well, I was right. He fell asleep in our bed so I put him in his room later in the evening. The past couple nights he had been getting up crying and Matt had just been bringing him into our bed to sleep until morning - bad habit! So I figured that Carter would be up again last night....and he was.

So I went in there refusing to back down even though I knew I would pay for it the next day. I rocked him while he, through tears, told me he wanted to sleep in mommy's bed. I refused and told him he need to sleep in his big boy bed. He responded that it was a little bed and he wanted a big bed. Sigh.  I finally got him to calm down and promised that I would stay with him until he fell asleep. So I got my pillow and blanket and laid on the floor next to his bed and rubbed his back. We both fell asleep. I got up some time in the early morning and made it back to my bed.

Carter was harder to wake up in the morning but I wanted to make a big deal that he was in his big boy bed and that I was proud he slept in it. He must have been proud too because he told Matt's dad and my mom all about his new big boy bed. I asked him in the morning why he woke up crying and he replied, "I missed my mommy." Too cute! But I have to be strong so he stays in that bed!


"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance."
~Franklin P. Jones




No comments: