Last month I took Hayden in for her regular check up and the nurse was asking a lot of questions - way more than I ever remember. She is just being thorough, I thought. But then she said, "how old is Hayden." I told her five this summer and then she mentioned that next year we would have to start her 'senior bloodwork.' Say what? My baby, a senior? I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of her mouth. She even talked me into getting Hayden on 'preventative' fish oil that will help her joints and eyesight. Gah! I was so depressed when I left. :( I am all for keeping her as healthy as can be, which is why she is now on a diet - she was up 6 pounds from last year!. But I just don't think of her as an old dog.
But last week we had a bit of a scare with her. I have been making an effort to walk her more often due to her expanding waistline. Now I know better in the summer because the humidity really gets to our little girl but I took her for a walk Saturday morning thinking the cooler temps in the morning would be okay. Well, she threw up on our walk so I took her home for some R&R. Matt and I left her home while we went swimming with Carter, Addison, my mom, Katie, Jo and Grete (did I mention that Mark and Grete were in town for a wedding!). Hayden seemed fine but then when we were getting ready for the wedding she threw up again so Matt stayed home with her while I went to the ceremony - he even took.her.temperature (from there!) to make sure she wasn't overheated. Whatta dad!
Sunday, Hayden seemed fine but by Sunday night she was acting really strange. like she had to be by us all.the.time - she even was laying on top of Matt of the couch. By Monday, Matt was worried so he took her to the vet. As a boxer, we are really concerned about cancer - and so is the vet - so we let them run tests = take all of our money. X-rays were all clear but bloodwork showed severe dehydration and pancreatitis. So she was hooked up to an IV for the afternoon and we got some antibotics and special food for her. Even though we spent a pretty penny, I was happy we got her in before her dehydration got worse and now we have the piece of mind that her X-rays are clear. We love our little lady!
And some old school Hayden pics :)
First Night Home!
Sleepin' with Daddy!
First Birthday!
With Baby Carter!
"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet." ~Edith Wharton







No comments:
Post a Comment