Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Second Time Around...

I wanted to capture how it has been bringing a baby home the second time around especially if I decide to have a third child I can remember how much easier it has been!! I am very happy to say that things have been much smoother this time around.

For the most part, I think I am just more calm because I knew what to expect. I knew that there would be sleepless nights and knew how they would feel. I knew how demanding breast feeding would be and that there would be bouts of inconsolable crying. So I am just so much more relaxed. Now there are times were I still get frustrated because OMG she won't stop crying and now there is the added stress of another child who wants attention but I am so lucky because of all the help I have. Going to my mom's so that Carter can play with Addison has been invaluable because it keeps him occupied and having fun. Much more fun than playing independently while I am feeding Miss Isla.

Matt has also made things so easy on me at home so I can concentrate on our new bundle and Mr. Carter. He has taken care of everything when it comes to the house: the cooking, the cleaning, the laundry - you name it and he is on it! I know that this balance will shift once Isla is a little older but for right now it has been wonderful since newborns are so needy :).

The other pleasant surprise has been how much easier my recovery has been this time around. Even though I did have to have another episotomy I feel so much better. In fact, I started working out 2 weeks post partum. I know that sounds crazy and maybe I am but I really felt ready to go back. It really has nothing to do with losing the baby weight and more to do with my mental health :). Because to be honest, I lost 25 of the 30 pounds I gained two week after Isla was born. And that had everything to do with breast feeding and nothing to do with working out. It is so nice to just have an hour to myself and to do something just for me. I feel so much more energized after working out and feel like it gives me the motivation to get up and moving in the morning. With Carter, there were days I didn't get out of my robe until Matt came home from work so I like that I a reason to get dressed in the morning even if it is just workout clothes :).I do have to give Matt's parents a huge THANK YOU for watching both kids while I work out because there is no way I would be able to do it without them. I can go to workout and focus without worrying about my babies because I know they are getting the best care!

So far those are my thoughts the second time around...

"Happiness lies first of all in health."  ~ George William Curtis

No comments: