Tuesday, September 24, 2013

17 Months ~ Isla!

Happy 17 Months Isla! Here is what you have been up to!

Likes: Being outside, crawling around the car, gator and Carter's toy jeep, eating sweets, giving me her 'naughty' face, and brushing her teeth and hair.

Riding

Dislikes: Being taken inside, being pulled out of the car, gator of Carter's toy jeep, eating meat and veggies, being told 'no', talking and getting her diaper changed.

Temperament/Personality: I know I say this every month but it continues be more of the same: Sweet and Sassy! Seems to a thrown fewer tantrums this month and can fairly easily be redirected when she is in the throws of one. She has been extra cuddly this month especially with me, which of course I love. She is starting to get a little bit more shy/timid around new situations and people often burying herself in my legs. She has also started to be a little bit goofy. She continues to love peek-a-boo and recently starting sticking out her tongue at me waiting for me to do the same...she thinks tongues are hilarious!


Stages of a tantrum
Stages of a Tantrum Presented by Isla!
Please note, the bottom/righ picture: She was checking to make sure I was watching her drama!
 Talking/Communication:  Certainly she knows how to get what she wants but is definitely still on the quiet side when it comes to talking. She is starting to say more words but generally isn't something she initiates and definitely not consistent! In addition to her standard hi, mom and dad she has added the following words: keys, cheese, ball, milk and night night. She also knows that a doggies says 'ruff ruff' and is learning that a kitty says 'meow.' I still believe/hope she will start to talk when she feels like it but also plan to ask about it at her 18 month appointment. It is hard not to compare her to Carter at this age even though he certainly was an 'early' talker.

Eating: She is such a snacker! Always begging for food at the pantry. She has been eating fairly well recently but can still be a little picky. She continues to love carbs and fruit but will eat some meat once in a while (mostly chicken). Her favorite thing to eat is probably graham crackers and would probably polish off an entire box in one sitting if I let her :).

She does still nurse twice a day...I was planning to wean and then BAM! I got mastitis and let me tell you friends that was NOT fun! I was ready to quit that day but apparently the only way to relieve the clogged duct is to nurse. Now Isla pretty much demands it first thing in the morning and I haven't really fought her on it yet. When it comes to nursing, I used to say that if a child could ask for it they are too old to have it so I guess in this case it is a good thing Miss Isla doesn't talk much yet ;). Moving on!

Teeth: Miss Thang seems to be teething once again although I haven't seen any new teeth pop through. So maybe molars? She has been snotty and drooling the past couple weeks for sure, which is definitely a teething sign for her. Other than that, she currently has my favorite mouthful of teeth. Four on top, four on the bottom, BIG gap and her molars. I don't know why but I just love that...maybe because it keeps her looking less like a big girl.

The Superficial: Her hair is getting really long especially her bangs and is so very blonde!! I am really interested to see what it does over the winter although both Matt and I were that blonde as kids so maybe it will stick. Her bangs are long enough that they really need to be pulled back or they are consistenly in her eyes. While we have done piggies, I normally just put her hair up in a side pony. Mostly because she doesn't love to sit still ever while having her hair done so it is much faster than trying to make two piggies.Sometimes the bottom her hair flips up and we call her Carol Brady :).

She is still pretty petite and in size 2 diapers, size 3 shoes and 12 month clothes. Some 18 month things fit but I also put her in a 3-6 month Iowa onesie that she wore last year!

Slide
Looking Tall!!
 Motor Skills: Isla pretty much things she is a big kid! She loves to climb and generally be in the mix with everyone. She has started to really like playing 'tea party' and my moms and pours a mean cup of coffee :). She will also help blow on it if I say it is too hot.

She is getting really good at walking and is super fast when she wants to be. I love hearing her footsteps come down the hall. She is obsessed(!) with shutting doors. It is really funny because Matt generally leaves the door to the hall bathroom slightly cracked and it drives me crazy...it must drive Isla crazy too because she always shuts it completely. I swear sometimes she even sighs when she does it like she is saying 'come on dad!' Same with cabinet doors and the garbage ~ she is usually very careful and hasn't pinched her fingers yet (and hopefully never does!).

She is a helper girl! I love this stage when they think that helping you out is a fun game :). She is realy into putting the laundry in the washer/dryer, loading the dishwasher, sweeping/vacuuming and wiping things up. She will also help pick up toys. Now if I could only convince Carter that picking up is fun!

Laundry helper


Other Notables: Isla is starting to enjoy reading! Finally, she likes to sit and read books with us. Before she rarely requested it and when she did couldn't sit for very long. But now she is picking out a book and backing into our laps (love when kids do that!). Her favorite book by far is Brown Bear, Brown Bear and we could read that to her all day long! She also likes the 'Peek-a-boo' flap books and Feely Bugs!

She has starting walking into Matt’s parents’ house by herself in the morning. I used to carry her in but now she likes to walk. She always stops for help over the slight incline from their driveway to the garage floor and the steps into the house, of course. Upon entering the house she always stops at the refrigerator and requests milk. She knows that Papa Dave has her and Carter’s cup ready in there and likes her cup first thing…she also likes to get Carter his milk cup for him.

Isla and Gus are really starting to play together rather than just around each other. My mom has been sending me the cutest pictures of those two! I love watching their relationship develop because it reminds me of how Carter and Addison used to be (with less biting so far!). Isla is one lucky girl because I think she will have two big brothers protecting her when she is older :).
Gus and isla

Big Brother & Little Sister: Carter was definitely talking more but it seems like they both were dramatic throwing themselves down to tantrum, both liked shutting doors and were learning to point out body parts. Both didn't like laying down long enough for a diaper change and loved taking baths. Carter was such a biter that I got desparate and bought a book we read entitled "Teeth are not for biting." Carter also had a hard time going down for bed (he still can have this issue!). Isla is very good about bedtime (knock, knock, knock on wood!). All she needs is a kiss and a paci and she is good to go!

We love you Isla Cakes!!

"A daughter is one of the most beautiful gifts this world has to give." ~ Laurel Atherton





No comments: