I was in denial about this for awhile but now that I am living it I guess I should put it out there...my position was eliminated at McGladrey. This came as a huge surprise and not exactly how I wanted to start the new year.
It was Monday, January 6th. It felt like -50 degrees and I thought that was going to be the downer of the day. I was actually looking forward to the first full week of work back from the holidays as I was ready to get back into our 'normal' routine...oh the irony! I had gotten a random email from my 'big boss' on Friday afternoon so that did put me into a little bit of a panic but her reason for coming to Davenport (meeting with SAU) checked out on her calendar so I tried not to overthink it. The weather wasn't great on Monday so she couldn't make it to Davenport and called me instead. Then she asked if I could call her from a conference room...it was at this moment that I knew it wasn't good. She explained that my position as I knew it had been eliminated and it was being restructured into a campus coordinator position that would include more hours. more travel and more evenings. They did offer me this position with those caveats. I was not interested as she knew I wouldn't be. So I decided to work the rest of January, take my severance and move on.
It was really hard to leave my colleagues but towards the end I was ready to go. I was still getting questions up until the last day after I had written down almost everything that I am asked to do and a 'how to' guide on all of it. So I was pretty much over it by that point :).
So what next?! For right now, I am staying at home with my babies. I gave McGladrey 8+ years, almost 5 of which I was a mom. Now they were very flexible and I do feel like I was able to be there for my kids when I wanted/needed to be. However, to them I was replaceable. And I understand that from a business perspective but after what happened I want to be where I am irreplaceable. And that is at home.
I won't be at home forever as it just isn't financially possible for us right now. But I am looking into different avenues that will hopefully give me more time at home than my previous position. I certainly never imagined something like this would happen to me but I truly believe that when one door closes another opens and that everything happens for a reason. So I am looking forward to what God has in store for me.
I cannot say enough about my friends and family who have supported me through this. Matt was so amazing and reached out to every contact he knows for job opportunities and was my rock when I went through every emotion possible after I found out I would be unemployed. He has also supported my decision(s) about where to go from here. My best friend texts me to see how everything is going and even surprised me with a gift card for a spa treatment. Made my day!! I am so thankful to have these people in my life!
So there it is...on to the next chapter.
A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn.
~Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment