Monday, June 15, 2015

Drama Baby

Out of all three of my pregnancies, this baby has caused the most drama. Here's hoping that changes once he/she is out of the womb! I have had a lot of pre-labor symptoms with this one including lightening (I refer to it as lightening crotch :) ), Braxton hicks contractions, regular contractions that don't regulate, sleep issues...just to name a few. And my high blood pressure has come back to make its appearance. It was slightly high when I had my 36 week appointment so they sent my urine to be checked for protein, which was also slightly elevated. This information, along with high blood pressure at the office during my 37 week appointment, got  me sent to the hospital for monitoring last Friday afternoon.

I did have blood pressure issues at the end with Isla, which is why I was induced with her but because I was close to 38 weeks they sent me over that morning for induction. Because I was closer to 37 weeks than 38 weeks, the doctors were more apprehensive to induce. My blood pressure calmed down but my protein was slightly elevated and platelets were slightly low so after 4 hours I was sent home. But not without a parting gift ~ the orange jug to collect my urine for 24 hours! {insert sarcasm here} The 24 hour urine collection is apparently more accurate so I collected everything for 24 hours and reported back to the hospital on Saturday afternoon. Again, they monitored my blood pressure, the baby's heartbeat, took my blood, and tested my jug. The protein was 'slightly elevated' but my blood pressure was not high, I have no swelling, blurred vision or other preeclampsia symptoms. So I was sent home, again, with directions to call the office on Monday and a tentative eviction for this week.

I completely understand the doctors' dilemma because of my gestational week; had I been closer to 38 weeks I probably would have had a baby over the weekend but they are trying to balance my health and the health of the baby. But I was not going to go get monitored at the hospital again especially knowing the my blood pressure was not an issue. It is amazing how exhausting just laying around for a couple of afternoons can be! My appointment went well today, my blood pressure was normal! Since my labs showed some issues, Dr. Steines made the call and decided to call my condition pregnancy induced hyper tension and to induce at 38 weeks, which is this Wednesday!! I had a non-stress test at the office and a growth ultrasound. The baby looked good and estimated at 7 pounds 6 ounces. So we are on for Wednesday although Dr. Aronson gave me permission to go into labor on my own :).

It is crazy to think that this pregnancy is coming to an end and while I will certainly miss baby moving inside of me, I cannot wait to meet him or her!! I am a little anxious knowing that I will have to birth this baby and go through the healing process that comes after having a child. But more excited to welcome this little one into our family. In some ways, it is nice to have a scheduled induction because we can get the kids settled before heading to the hospital. I do not know how I am going to sleep tomorrow night!! It looks like 3rd times a charm for a our baby #3. Below are pictures from the first and second time I went into the hospital...just in case I delivered.

Last Belly Pic - attempt #1

Last Belly Pic - attempt #2

Let us make pregnancy an occasion when we appreciate our female bodies.– Merete Leonhardt-Lupa




No comments: