Carter is half way through his first grade year! I cannot believe it...wasn't he just a little kindergartner?! We had conferences for him a month or so ago and he is doing great! He is progressing or meeting expectations in all his standards, he loves math, writing stories, and drawing pictures. He is a nice kid and friends with everyone. He is growing up before my eyes and I am so proud of the big boy he has become.
Interests:
Carter has always been a kid that gets obsessive with things. At 2 it was the Cars movies and toys, 3 was construction equipment, 4 was sharks, and 5 was How to Train Your Dragon dragons. He immerses himself in these and I am always a little sad to see him move on to the next 'thing.' Currently, his new 'things' are Avengers and Star Wars. His favorite super hero is Captain America but does like the other Avengers as well. He just started getting into Star Wars and requested a light saber for Christmas, which he received. It is crazy how much he knows about the movies especially since he hasn't ever seen one. Over break, he went to see the new movie in the theater with my Dad and Uncle Cory (daddy is not interested). Even my dad mentioned how Carter picked up on things throughout the movie.
He also is into the Back to the Future series. Matt introduced him to the franchise and now he is obsessed with watching those. Matt also bought him a Delorean hot wheels so he always has to have that in hand while watching the movie.
Friends: Carter can befriend almost anyone. It is one of the things I love most about him. He is very much like Matt and can go up to anyone and strike up a conversation. I am envious of both my boys in this regard as I tend to be more reserved when meeting new people. So new classmates means new friends. His BFF in his class is Cam who also lives in our neighborhood. He also likes to hang out with Breleigh. She lives across the street and on Fridays they have a play date. A couple of Fridays ago, I wanted to head over to my mom's after school and Carter was so upset. He said, 'Fridays I play with Breleigh!' So we compromised and he played with Breleigh for a little bit. While these are his school friends, Carter still maintains that his true best buddy is Gavin. Gavin and his family moved to Alaska this summer so we won't be seeing them often but Carter still wants to invite him to his birthday party 'even though he won't be able to come.' :) He even asked my brother and Grete if they saw Gavin while they visited Alaska this summer.
Other Notables:
Carter has lost 5 teeth! His bottom two, top two, and one more on the bottom. His two front teeth are almost all the way in and now he looks like a big kid!!
![]() |
| Showing off his missing teeth! |
We recently found out that he is allergic to amoxicillin. I got a call from the school nurse that Carter said he thought he swallowed a rock...although she clarified that she thinks he meant it felt like he was swallowing rocks. She checked his throat and it was swollen so she suggested getting him checked for strep throat since it had been going around school. He had no fever and otherwise didn't act sick at all but decided to be better safe than sorry. I was very surprised when his strep test came back positive. Believe it or not but Carter has never been on an antibiotic before! Well, 7 days into his medicine he developed hives. Poor thing!
Carter is generally a good big brother. He dotes on Brea all the time. Isla is obsessed with him so she is always wanting to do what he is doing. Carter does not always react well to this and gets annoyed with her. Then they pick on each other and drive Matt and I crazy! But other times they play very nicely with each other. It depends on the day and sometimes on the minute.
*I don't know if I shared this story on the ol' blog but I know I posted about it on Instagram...Isla had dance on Thursday evenings at 4, which meant that all three kids went along to drop Isla off at class. Even though Isla does not nap, she has always been a child that falls asleep quickly in the car. And so every Wednesday she would fall asleep on the way to dance class. And every week I had to wake her up. On one particular Thursday, she woke up sad and wanted me to carry her into class. This is almost an impossible task as I had to carry Brea in as well. So I got Isla out of the van and set her down and told her that after I picked up Brea I would try to pick her up as well. I turned around after grabbing Brea and saw this....
Carter offered his hand to walk Isla into class.
This fall, Carter decided against playing soccer but really wanted to wrestle. Matt and I were apprehensive about this decision because wresting does not seem like something Carter would enjoy. We asked him multiple times if he was sure he wanted to wrestle. He reasoned that he liked wrestling his sister so he would like wrestling. Um, no. We decided we needed to let him try it and told him that he had to finish out the season even if it was something he didn't like. Well, he doesn't really like it. Carter is just not an aggressive or competitive kid so contact sports are not his thing. He only cried a couple of times during practice and likes warming up and playing games at the end. We haven't signed him up for any meets because Matt doesn't feel like he knows enough to compete. This is ironic because he LOVES the singlet and wore it for an entire day after we got it. The only time he would wear it is if he was in a wrestling meet. If nothing else, it was a good experience for him to try something new.
| Looking tough! |
Carter is also involved in Cub Scouts. This is right up his alley and he loves it! Matt has to go to meetings and events with him and it has been a fun thing for them to do together. Between this and wrestling, our weeks are getting busy!
Carter seems so old to me lately. Even some of the things that come out his mouth seem like he is practically an adult. For example, he told me that he forgot to include Hawkeye's Bow and Arrow on his Christmas list and then said, "I assume Santa knows that I want it."
He is mostly sweet but certainly has developed some big kid 'sass.' Definitely not my favorite when he responds with an annoyed tone to his voice. Excuse me child you are too young to start that!
The things he says:
We were on our way to go sledding and Carter told me he was a little nervous:
Me: Carter, you are scared to go sledding?
Carter: I'm not really that comfortable going fast down a hill.
"I ran almost as fast as Forest Gump and he runs like the wind!"
We had a really bad wind storm and Carter came in from the bus looking like this:
I asked him why he was bringing in trash to my house and he said, "Because I don't want the Earth to get sick!"
We sure love our Carter Thomas!
"Little boys are just superheroes in disguise." - Art Moms

No comments:
Post a Comment