Sunday, July 17, 2016

Brea Jean ~ 13 Months!

So I was kinda excited that I wouldn't have to writing these monthly posts anymore but then I went back and looked and I did continue these for Isla (until 2 I think). Mommy guilt got the best of me and I decided that my Brea deserved to have the posts continue as well. So here we go!

Current Nicknames: Goo-me, Goo-mers, Goo-me Goo-me girl, Bree

Likes: crawling up the stairs, Rock n' Rider pony, her princess castle, Isla's princess couch, and dancing





Dislikes: going down for bed, getting into her car seat, being told no

Biggest Achievement of the Month: standing unassisted and getting to a standing position without pulling up on anything



Biggest Challenge of the Month: bedtime (hasn't been too bad but I couldn't think of anything else)

Firsts: first time hiking, first time at the Maquoketa Caves!



Sleeping: Sleeping hasn't been that big of an issue for Miss Brea. Going down for the night or naps is still challenging for her. She usually cries herself to sleep (on a bad day) or plays until she falls asleep (on a good day). We run around most of the morning due to sibling activities so Brea usually falls asleep on the way home before her nap. She has no problem staying asleep while I put her up in her crib. She is down to one nap a day but will fall asleep if she is riding in the car between 9:30 - 10:30. I call this her 'power through' period. She could probably nap at this time and is crabby but we have to power through so she stays awake and only takes one nap.

If Brea is napping at our house, she takes a pretty good nap. Most days, close to two hours. HOWEVER, if she naps at grandma's house she sleeps closer to an hour even though she NEEDS to sleep longer. I don't know what it is about my mom's house but she just doesn't take good naps there. So frustrating! Especially when she is going to have to learn to nap there come fall.

Brea sleeps all night but have a couple of  nights in a row when she was up crying (?). I didn't even realize this until Matt mentioned it to me. Definitely past the newborn mommy stage because I did not even hear her wake up! Morning wake ups are hit or miss. She is usually up really early (6:30) or at a more respectable hour (7 - 7:30). Obviously I prefer the later wake ups as everyone seems to be in a happier mood with these.



Eating: Brea is definitely getting pickier with her eating habits but still eats a variety of foods. She loves meat and fruits the best but will eat some veggies (broccoli, carrots, peppers). She loves chicken, mac n'cheese (any noodle), cantaloupe, watermelon, and baked beans. She has started throwing food on the floor that she doesn't like. Matt and I do not like this...Hayden does.



Brea is done with bottles! I wasn't as upset with this milestone as I thought I would be but it did feel weird packing up all the bottles and no longer having a drying rack on the counter. She drinks whole milk from a sippy cup and I do have some breast milk left that she has been drinking. I still nurse her in the morning, after nap, and before bed. But I this point I don't know how much milk she is getting from these sessions.

Personality: Brea can really be the sweetest and funniest little girl. But she sure does have a sassy streak! She is going to be the scrappy one out of the three babies I can already tell. She just gets a look on her face when Jake or Nora take something from her and she is quick to snag it right back! She loves to drink from any sippy that isn't hers. Milk must just taste better when it is meant for someone else!


She is generally a really happy baby!! She smiles and giggles almost all day and one of my favorite sights is watching her squeal while she crawls up to me or Matt. She is not a big cuddler (just like her sister) but will cuddle on her terms. She is always on the move and her Papa Dave cannot believe how 'on the go' she is. Just a busy bee!






She is also very friendly. She smiles and connects with almost anyone and doesn't get too shy around strangers. She can be hot and cold. I know when she is getting tired because one minute she is smiley, happy baby and the next she is a crying hot mess!






She is mischievous and loves to play in the bathroom. She has on occasion dropped things into the toilet and shut the lid on her finger. She also loves to pick up tiny things off the floor and put them in her mouth. Poor third child...if it is edible we are far less likely to fish it out of her mouth.



The Superficial: Although I know she is smaller for her age, she is much bigger than what Isla was at her age so Brea looks so chubby in comparison. I love a chubby baby! Her little rolls are just adorable and I love her chubby cheeks! She is wearing 12 month clothes and size 3 diapers. She isn't walking yet so she never wears shoes so I have no idea what size shoe she wears.

She has really light blonde hair that is coming in nicely but is so light she can still look like a baldy. Her eyes are still very blue and she has the biggest smile. She smiles so big that you can see all her teeth. She gets comments on her toofers all the time when she smiles at people.

Teeth: Her teeth count is still 4. She has big teeth like mom and dad and they show when she smiles. I think she may be getting additional teeth on the top but nothing has popped through get. She is drooling and chewing on her fingers.

Motor Milestones: Brea is crawling super fast and can climb the stairs just as quickly. In fact, if you don't know where she is she is most likely on her way up with a twinkle in her eye! One day I was putting dishes in the dishwasher and couldn't find her so I went upstairs and she was crawling out of Isla's room. Such a stinker! She is pretty good at the stairs and knows she can sit on them and does know how to go down backwards safely. However, I still don't like her crawling up the stairs without someone watching her.

Brea is cruising along furniture and will stand unassisted. In fact, she can go from sitting to standing without pulling up on anything. However, she has no idea what to do after she stands up. She doesn't seem interested in walking at all even when we hold her hands and have her walk. I am not concerned with this as Isla was also a 'later' walker. Also, I can still think of her as my baby for a little bit longer ;).

She loves to crawl on top of Isla's princess couch and lounge. Brea also loves to climb and sit on her (or other siblings) step stools. She also likes to stand on them in the bathroom.



She waves and claps and tries to blow kisses. She doesn't wave or clap when you say the command but rather will wave when I say 'hello' or 'goodbye' and claps when I cheer 'yay.'  She blows raspberries all the time and gets quite a lot of spit when she does it. She loves to dance and move her body to music. She was so cute the other day, we turned on the music at my mom's house and she crawled/danced over to the CD player and danced right in front of it just like all the other grand kids.



Language: She is still saying 'da da' and 'ma ma' towards Matt and I. She has tried to repeat things we say but hasn't said any of the words independently yet. She does 'da' and Hayden every morning so I think she is trying to say 'dog.' A couple of repeated 'words':


  • My mom was saying 'a choo' to the babies to get them to smile and after we took their picture, Brea 'said' what sounded like 'a choo'
  • Speaking of taking pictures, she has also repeated 'cheese' when we are trying to get them to smile
  • We have been hiking a bit on the weekends and when Isla can't see Carter in front of us she wolf howls for him (thanks Alaskan Bush People!). So when we were on the trail the other day, Brea howled for her brother too!
We just continue to love on our little lady!!




No comments: