Monday, March 19, 2012

Random Thoughts from a Pregnant Brain...

This describes me lately... just a bunch of random thoughts mostly about pregnancy and new baby. I thought I would capture them for posterity's sake if nothing else. Here we go!

  • For the most part, this pregnancy has been almost the exact same as Carter's. I get pain in the same places (right hip and middle back) and this baby seems to prefer sticking his/her bottom all up in my rib as well :)
  • I told the doctor last week that I felt like the baby is really low so she pushed around my belly and said, 'well, it's hard to tell but I think it's butt is up here.' Hmmm...that made me a little nervous that she couldn't really tell the difference between the baby's head and booty. But baby's head was down at 24 weeks so I am just going to continue to go with that. Heartbeat was in the 150s FYI.
  • Some of the differences this pregnancy...I feel like the baby is sitting on my bladder. Everytime I stand up I feel like I have to go to the restroom. With Carter I had a bladder of steel - I could go all day without using the restroom (I didn't but I could). Maybe it is because this is my second pregnancy? The other difference is that the linea nigra hasn't made an appearance yet. I did have it with Carter and feel like it had already made its appearance by now - but I don't know that for sure.
  • I felt the baby's hiccups for the first time on Sunday (3/12)! It was so cool - I never felt that with Carter.
  • I am still in complete denial that I will be having another baby. Not in a bad way - we are thrilled to expand our family but I still can't put my head around the fact that the baby is coming sooner rather than later. So much to do!
  • My ankles are starting to swell by the end of the day but are not in cankle territory yet and usually return to 'normal' by morning.
  • I am definitely not 'nesting' yet, which is a little annoying since, as stated above, there is so much to do. Carter's birthday party is coming up and I was all into planning for awhile and now I just don't care. Which sounds terrible and it's not so much that I don't care but I don't really want to make a decision about anything. Not just about the party but anything in general. Food at the party, what to wear in my maternity pictures, the baby's name...can someone just tell me what to do?!
  • Speaking of names...we don't really have any. Sound familiar? I have two boy names that I LOVE but haven't even told them to Matt yet because I don't want him to ruin my 'buzz' about them :). Matt suggested a girl's name that I am still on the fence about - I like the name but worry about its 'grown up' potential. I definitely can see it on a little girl but a grown woman? I just don't know. I have no other girls name in mind, which makes me think we are definitely having a boy :). I am pretty set on middle names. Though come to think of it I don't know that Matt even knows what I am thinking about the boy's middle name...why is this so hard?!
    • Carter is no help - he thinks we should name the new baby Hayden or Addison. Both good names but I think that would be a little confusing
  • Since it usually comes up in conversation I thought I would give you the answers to the most common questions I have gotten this pregnancy.
  • You really don't know what you are having?
    • No, we really don't know and we really don't care to know. I understand the question and the annoyance since most people can't wait to find out what they are having. The strange thing is that when other people don't find out it drives me crazy too! But when it comes to me and my pregnancy I really don't care to know. With Carter, I was really adamant on having a surprise and having the moment when Matt announced the sex in the delivery room. And while Matt did do that I don't remember it at all. In fact, I only remember immediately looking at Carter's area upon his arrival and seeing his little penis :) With new baby, it is less about the surprise and more about the fact that we really didn't 'need to know.' Everything we have is gender neutral and it is just as easy to not know except for maybe the naming thing - although I have a feeling I am just one of those people that has to see the baby before deciding on a name :) The surprise is pretty amazing and it was up to Matt this time around and he opted not to find out so here we are Team Green!
  • Are you hoping for a girl?
    • No, not really. It is really strange because before I got pregnant and we were just trying for new baby I would have told you that I was hoping for a little girl - a mini-me if you will. But once I got pregnant those feelings just went away. Of course, I would love to have a little girl with all that pink, pig tails and princesses but I know that the adorable clothes will practically bankrupt us :). I would also love to have a little boy! I would love Carter to have a little brother to play cars and wrestle with. I love boys! I know boys! I don't always understand them though - why do they always make the car sound when they play with them? Why is tooting funny? What is their obsession with their 'you know what'? These may be things I will never understand but make being a 'boy mom' so fun. What I am really hoping for (aside from a healthy baby, obviously)? I would really love a calm, relaxed baby. One that is just content or that can be calmed easily. I also hope for a baby that doesn't spit up as much as Carter did because that was just nasty :). Of course, I can't control any of these things any more than I can control the baby's gender so we will just have to wait until May to find out 'who' this baby is.
Bumpdate: Weeks 21 - 29

"Life is magic, the way nature works seems to be quite magical." ~ Jonas Salk




No comments: