Wednesday, May 15, 2013

House Update!

I haven't really discussed the new house on here very much but honestly everything has been pretty uneventful. We have had a few hiccups along the way but so far {knock on wood} it hasn't been the nightmare that everyone told me it would. And honestly, it hasn't been as fun as I thought it would be either. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited to move but picking everything out was more stressful than I thought it would be. For the most part, we only had a limited selection of things to choose from: 5 types of granite for the kitchen and bathrooms, color of siding, color of cabinetry so that wasn't too bad because we knew that it was within budget and we just picked. Now the lighting and flooring was a different story. We still had that pesky budget of course but we had so.much.to.choose.from. And it was really hard from me to envision how everything would 'go' together. Especially the floors. Part of me thought, I could just open a magazine to a picture of a kitchen and say I want that and everything would be available and in budget. Ha! Definitely wishful thinking! :)

We decided to upgrade to hardwoods in the entire first floor (minus the mud,  laundry and family room). My original thought was that I would do something similar to our house now; white cabinets in the kitchen and darker floors. When then the builder {and my husband} threw me for a loop when I was told that white was not a color option for the kitchen ~ his exact words, "nobody is putting white cabinets in." Um, have you seen Pinterest!? And Matt told me he didn't want to deal with white cabinets again and wanted to do something different. Okay then. So we chose a nice medium to darker brown hickory cabinet color and while it took me a awhile to come around I do really like them. But! Now I had to decide on the flooring color and that was not easy to do!
Let me discuss my quandry: I knew I didn't want to try and match the wood tones for the kitchen and that a lighter wood may look better against the dark cabinets however, I didn't think I was going to like having a lighter wood for the rest of the first floor. I knew I liked the darker wood look but didn'tk know if I would like it against the dark wood cabinets in the kitchen and was afraid that everything would look too dark. But at the end of the day we decided that we would be happier with the dark wood floor and we chose a lighter granite and backsplash for the kitchen that will hopefully lighten up the space.

The house is ahead of schedule on we close on May 17th!!
Updated to add: I wrote this post several weeks ago and never published it. Well! We hit our first big snag when it came to the home building process and it was a big pain in the ass and a HUGE cause of stress for me. Apparently, we didn't upgrade to wood in the Living/Dining room like we thought we did. Long story short; there was a huge miscommunication between the builder and us and we thought we were getting something that wasn't included in our initial flooring upgrade. Which is annoying but wouldn't have been a big deal except for we didn't realize our miscommunication until last Saturday. Otherwise known as: 6 days before moving day! And hey, this could push your closing date because it takes 7-10 days to get the wood in. I was so upset because I really wanted all wood on the first floor but I did NOT want to push back our closing. 
Everyone was frustrated. I am sure the builder is annoyed with us and our demands and we were annoyed that things weren't clearly explained to us and annoyed at ourselves for not reading the flooring sheet thoroughly ~ we just confirmed colors and didn't really pay attention to what rooms things were going in. Basically, Matt just emailed our builder/realtor and said, 'we want wood, we will pay for the additional upgrade and we want to close on Friday. Figure it out!'

Luckily for us, they found a way to figure it out. We will close on Friday but our floors will have to be installed at a later date. Not ideal but it would have been worse pushing the closing so I am thankful for that.

So that's the update: we are moving this week! And I am still in complete denial. Our house isn't close to being all the way packed and I haven't done any of it! Matt has done it all ~ I was somewhere else watching the kids but still...

I am excited for the new house and more space because as much as I love our current home we have been over it for awhile. We cleaned it for Isla's birthday but then started packing things away and the house is a disaster. And neither Matt or I have the motiviation to do anything about it because we're moving so why try to re-organize for figure out where to put things when everything will end up in a moving box anyway?

Enough rambling ~ off to pack! Wish us luck!


Home progress
New Hatz Household

"Home is where you rest your rump.” ~Pumba, The Lion King.

No comments: