Likes: Doing what you want when you want, crawling up and down (!) the stairs, opening cabinets, pulling clothes out of the laundry basket {sometimes putting them back in}, your brother, playing in the dog's water bowl, dancing, going to the park and climbing.
Dislikes: Being told what to do, being fed by a grown up, babyfood, leaving the park, sitting in a stroller or a hairchair and shoes.
Biggest Achievement of the Month: Standing unassisted! She is even pushing up to stand! She doesn't last too long but if distracted can stand for several seconds!
Biggest Challenge of the Month: You keep going through this cold cycle, which I have attributed to teeth. But for the past several months you will be healthy for a couple days, then drooly, then snotty and then get a nasty cough. Most of these things don't slow you down though! You do NOT like to get your nose wiped but other than that you power through. It seems to wear on mommy more than you.
Sleeping: Naps are still the same. Some days taking only one nap while other you take two. They rarely last more than an hour an a half but you have clocked in some 2 hour naps this past month. Night time sleep has been pretty good! Crossing all crossables that this post doesn't jinx that! You go down fairly easily but the past couple of weeks have been so crazy it has been much later than normal so you haven't really had the energy to put up a fight. The first night in the new house, I had to go in a couple times before you fell asleep but other than that it has be great!
The crazy early mornings haven't been too frequent (again crossing crossables!). You always get up at 6 am but we have found that if we lay you back down, insert paci and pat your bottom you will fall back asleep for at least a half an hour. That has been so nice!!
Eating: Eating has been interesting...you will no longer eat traditional baby food. While I know that by 1 that is something we should/could have phased out, I was still packing it for lunch because we were moving and it was easier for us. But Miss Thing, you had different ideas! You no longer like to be fed by an adult {sad news for my grandma who loved to do this}. No, you have to do it by YOURSELF! Such an independent girl! Usually making a huge mess but that's how you learn I guess :).
You also are weird about what you are eating. No longer will you try anything you definitely pick out the things you like. Which continue to be fruit and carbs. You are also inconsistent with the items you will eat. You had grilled chicken one night and went to town on it. Loved it. But when we tried it again you were all, "what is this? Definitely not eathing that!" So frustrating and another eating saga begins. You are just so little that I worry you are not eating enough or getting enough nutrients but since you will spit out anything I try to feed you I guess I will just have to trust that you will eat when hungry. You are a bottomless pit when it comes to eating food you do like. You could certainly eat your weight in fruit :).
You are on whole milk but still would prefer your brother's chocolate milk or anyone else's sippy that isn't yours. You will drink your milk but do this 'cute' thing where when you have had enough you just tip the sippy over so it dumps on the floor. Nice. You also still nurse in the morning and before bed. It is still working for us so we continue to do it. I don't really have a timetable to get you off the boob but hope we both know when the time is right.
Personality: Wow! You have a big personality in that little body!! You are so spunky it is crazy. NO ONE will push you around or tell you what to do ~ this is a little bit scary for mommy in years to come. You and Carter were fighting over a toy. You had it, he wanted it and tried to grab it away from you. My girl you have a grip! Someone had to give up and I will give you a hint...it wasn't Carter :).
You have a mind of your own and can be so stubborn! My mom is having a little laugh at this because you remind her of someone else she knows. ::Not naming names but it is me:: The other day I was trying to feed you yougurt with a spoon. That lasted for all of 1 minute when you would no longer open your mouth. So I put the yougurt aside thinking you didn't like it. Oh no. You squawked and pointed until my mom realized you just wanted to feed yourself. I really didn't want you to because I so wasn't in the mood to wash you up afterwards. Ha! Like I had a say in the matter...
![]() |
| Good 'til the last drop! |
![]() |
| Her naughty smile! |
![]() |
| Slide! |
Luckily you are also tough! Things that would send you brother into tears don't bother you at all. You had a red mark on your head the other day and had no idea you had even bonked it on anything since you didn't cry. Gus rolls on her all the time or gives his 'hugs' and you just aren't phased at all. It is kinda nice having a child that doesn't cry at the drop of a hat ;).
You are mischievous! Oh my! You get this grin on your face when you are being naughty at it is just too much! Such a stinker! Again, we say a lot 'it's a good thing you're cute.' You get away with a lot! The other day at our new house, you were coming down the stairs and sat up. I told you to go on your belly and you looked at me and shook your head no! We are in trouble!
For the most part you are really happy although you can throw a tantrum when things don't go your way. These definitely don't seem as bad as the tantrums Carter throws probably because you are smaller, more distractable and cannot verbalize your frustration :).
The Superficial: Still a peanut of course but definitely looking older to me. Probably because now you stand up and that certainly makes you look bigger/taller. I am going to say that you finally grew out of size 1 diapers. I only say that because we probably won't be buying them anymore. They do still fit but size 2s fit better :). You are wearing mostly size 12 month outfits however, the capris are more like pants for you. Your feet are tiny and I am having a hard time finding shoes that fit you that also have a hard sole since walking is in your future.
Your hair is getting long! Mommy will style in in a mowhawk after bath but may have to stop doing that because it no longer stays and by morning your hair is just crazy. Sad that you are losing your signature look :). You hair is definitely getting lighter and you can see the blonde color towards the roots. Carter was really blonde his first summer {with hair aka first non-newborn summer} but then his hair got dark so it will be interesting to see what you end up with. Your eyes are still big and blue but we all know that Carter's eyes change very late so I am definitely not convinced they will stay. Your smile is just as big as ever and we see it a lot.
![]() |
| Love that smile! |
My guess is they will continue to come all at once. Luckily, they don't seem to bother you that much. You definitely drool more and can be a little more cranky but I remember teething being just awful for Carter especially in terms of sleep so I will take some crabiness.
Motor Milestones: You are definitely babbling more and the words you had been saying, "dad, hi, Hayden" seem to be more clear. I don't know that I have heard any new words yet...You sometimes say 'ma ma' but not consistently. You also starting making a clicking noise with your tongue/mouth and will say 'nom nom nom' in reference to eating.
You learned to give a 'high-five'! It is so very cute but you can be picky as to who you will/won't give a high-five to. You love to climb! You will climb or try to climb on anything. Our bay window (sad that you will no longer be climbing on that), slides, our couch. Basically anything. You learned to stack blocks and love knocking them over! One day we were over at my mom's for dinner and everyone was playing with the soft blocks. You stacked a couple for your tower and then knocked them over just laughing about it. Then you noticed Auntie Jo had made a stack and you crawled over there so fast and knocked her stack down too! Laughing all the way, of course!
Along with standing more often, you are also able to get to a standing position without pulling up on something. We always praise you when you do this so you will stand there and clap ~ so cute! You are getting my comfortable 'walking' while pushing something. It doesn't have to be a push toy either, you were just as happy pushing a little kid chair across the room at Carter's preschool round up the other evening.
You also began shaking your head 'no' in response to something. Even though sometimes you mean yes :). Like the other day when I kept asking you if you wanted more fruit, you would shake your head no but point at the fruit until I put more on your plate. You also started shaking your head 'no' in response to our 'poop' question. Sorry for the TMI info but my mom always does this thing with the kids and now I find myself doing it as well. Whenever one of the kids {those in diapers} is stinky she asks them who stinks like poop. So it goes something like this:
"Does Carter stink like poop? Nooooo....."
"Does Mommy stink like poop? Noooo...."
"Does Isla stink like poop? Yes....."
I have no idea when/why this started but it is just a funny thing our family does. And it is adorable {I think} when I started asking Isla this and she would shake her head no when I said it.
Miscellaneous: You love the park! You get really excited when we walk through Sheck to get to Aunt Katie's house...often kicking your legs and clapping your hands. This also means you get really angry when we don't always stop to play :). Your favorite things to do are climbing up the slide and crawling through the tunnel.
![]() |
| That Mouth! |
Big Brother & Little Sister: Again there are a lot of similarities! Both were saying 'hi dad,' loved to play outside, climb on the bay window and the couch, starting throwing tantrums and eating dog food :). Carter was a champion walker by this point so was doing things, like kicking a ball, that Isla isn't quite ready to do yet. Carter also was fully transitioned to sippy cups. Isla mostly is only because we don't have any bottle at our house so that is her only option :). She will still take bottles are my mom's house sometimes. Both were the sweetest with big smiles and happy faces!
![]() |
| Carter |







No comments:
Post a Comment