I cannot believe that you are 6 years old! For the past couple weeks I have been giving you kisses every chance I get...telling you that I have to get them in while you are five. And then tonight, I gave you your last kiss as a five year old. Five was a great year and I really loved Carter the five year old. It was such a fun age where you grew up and did 'big kid' things like taking the bus to school, being in school all day long, mommy trusting you to go and play down the street with your friends, learning to read and write stories, and losing your first (and second) tooth. But you still were a 'little kid' sometimes. You still like when I read books to you, will play nicely with your sister, and you gave me a kiss goodbye when I was leaving your class after volunteering (in front of your friends!).
But now at six I think you are definitely more of a 'big kid' and that is going to take some getting used to ~ that you are going to need me as much as before. I promise to try and not smother you and let you spread your wings.
So these are some things I want to remember about Carter at five:
You can be such a perfectionist! Oh my! You can get really frustrated when things don't go exactly as planned. You love math and have a math program that you use at school and can practice at home. At least twice you have cried from frustration (at school) when you couldn't get passed a level. And you loved the days you got to play 'ji ji' math.
You are still really sweet, which I love! Many moms who volunteered in your classroom have told me how happy and sweet you are and that makes my heart happy. You have a lot of friends at school and you invited around 12 kids to your birthday party. You get along with both the boys and girls and I think the girls appreciate that you will play with them and not be too rough. You do play with the boys although I think you bow out when things are getting a little rowdy. I never knew how crazy boys can really be until you started having some friends over. :)
You love playing with all the kids in the neighborhood. You often ask to 'go for a walk,' which really means that you want to ride your bike around the neighborhood to find out who is outside to play with :).
You do like to be independent and have been walking by yourself to the bus stop every morning since January. Of course, I can see the bus stop from our back door so it is a 'win win' for us. You feel like a 'big kid' and I can keep my eye on you :).
You do like to read and do a really good job sounding out words. You tend to struggle with the length of books. I think it is part of your perfectionist nature coming out and you get tired trying to sound everything out. You want every word to be a 'sight' word that you can look at and just know. I try to remind you that reading takes practice and even mommy has to sound out words sometimes. You still love to draw and I find drawing all around the house. Coloring, however, is not your favorite. You prefer to just get it done rather than concentrating in coloring in the lines....cutting on the line also falls into this category. When you take your time, your handwriting is really beautiful. But I always know when you don't take your time because it becomes really big and messy. :)
You do really love your sister and will help her with things but also don't appreciate when she gets into your 'stuff.' She really looks up to you and it is so cute to see. You like to 'wrestle' each other and she is really tough but I have to remind you that there isn't kicking in wrestling. You have been tough rough with her on occasion and made her cry. Then you say to her, 'hit me really hard Isla.'
The things you say:
Daddy was right...nice boys get the pretty ladies.
Jeans are the worstest thing in my life!
I just saw the first butterfly of the season!
Why is there even this in life! (his frustration with toothpaste)
Isla, give preggo some room.
Carter Thomas, we love you more the words can say. Happy Birthday Buddy!!
"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
~ Dr. Seuss



No comments:
Post a Comment