Here is what Miss Brea has been up to!
Nicknames: Brea Tortilla (courtesy of Isla)
Likes: kicking around on the floor, talking to her siblings, smiling and cooing at her car seat animals.
Dislikes: nap time, tummy time, and dirty diapers
Tolerates: bath time
Biggest Achievements of the Month: Brea is finally able to hold the paci in her mouth by herself!! It isn't perfected yet and she will certainly let you know when she doesn't want it by spitting it out. But I am able to put her in the crib and insert her paci and it doesn't immediately fall out :). Even Carter, excitedly, applauded Brea for this skill as he has been asked to keep it in her mouth from time to time.
Sleeping in her crib! We had a failed attempt right around her two month posts but we powered through and she has been in her crib for several weeks now. Things are going great and we are both more comfortable with her down the hall. She loves to be able to stretch out in her crib and I am not waking up at every little sound she makes.
Biggest Challenge of the Month: Up until a couple of days ago, I don't know if I would have been able to think of a challenge except for maybe spitting up and drool. However, the past couple of days her naps have been terrible!! Brea was fairly consistent taking at least one long nap a day. Now she is getting up after 30 minutes and is a complete crab!! Boo! She was terrible for my mom this past Wednesday and Saturday I basically let her cry it out in her crib for a bit. That is not my favorite thing to do but nothing was calming her down and I could feel my frustration build so I figured it was best for everyone to let Brea deal with her issue alone :). Crossing all crossables that this is some weird growth spurt and goes away soon!
Firsts: first race, first time in Iowa City, first time cheering on the Hawks, first stroller ride
Eating: Brea is still nursing great although she has stretched her 15 minutes to closer to 20 on one side. She is doing great taking bottles at the grandparents' houses. She takes three, 4 to 4.5 ounce bottles on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays while I am at school. When she nurses she generally goes 2.5 to 3 hours between feedings. She will go longer if she happens to take a longer nap and goes longer at night. She has been spitting up quite a bit and has almost hit Carter territory with a few pukes that have hit the floor. Dislike this a lot :). Pretty much over all the puke!
Sleeping: Naps had been going okay and now not so much (please see above!). Night time is going okay as well. Brea has slept through the night a couple of times but generally gets up once at night and usually at the dreaded 4:30 hour. This was worse when I was working because I got up around six but because I am in school and get up a little later it isn't quite as bad. After getting up once, she does go back down to sleep and doesn't wake up until after 8 o'clock. I hate typing this out because inevitably were are going to have issues sleeping at night :). I have been working on putting Brea down drowsy but awake and having her fall asleep on her own. This has been a work in progress but she is getting there...it has been much easier now that she can hold her own paci.
Personality: I think she is pretty sweet. She certainly has a temper and can go from zero to extremely pissed off especially when hungry (hangry) or tired. She has been more smiley and chatty this month, which is so cute.
Superficial: She is still wearing 0-3 month clothes and size 1 diapers. I think that most of her fall clothes are 3-6 months and fit her just fine. She has adorable little fat rolls on her legs and chubby cheeks. She has a little hair on the top of her head, which I brush into a Mohawk after baths. In the sunlight, her hair can look red. Isla's did too at this age so I don't have my hopes up that she will have red hair. Brea still has her dark blue eyes and looks very much like Carter did as a baby.
Skills: She is working on rolling from back to belly and has gotten close several times. Sunday morning, I laid her on her back, walked away and when I returned she was on her belly! She was laying on top of her swaddle blankets so I don't know if that helped her over or what. We will see if she can repeat. She rarely just lays on her back and always rolls to one side or the other. She found her hands and likes to hold them together, stare at them, and suck on them. She is also working on getting her feet towards her face.
Sibling Comparisons: As noted above, she is starting to spit up like her big brother Carter. She has even had a couple of 'splat of the floor' instances. There are certainly days where I am o.v.e.r being thrown up on :). She reminds me more of Isla when putting her down for naps and bed. She doesn't really like when I fuss with her too much for bed. So I have just been swaddling her and putting her down...but similar to Carter, if I miss her window OMG! She cannot calm down. She definitely needs her paci to calm down for sleep so when she is over tired she just screams with the paci in her mouth and nothing can be done. My poor mom has had few afternoons of out of control Brea :(.
Other notables: She is drooling a lot. I hope that she doesn't teeth as early as Carter did but since she reminds me a lot of him as a baby I wouldn't be surprised. Brea was baptized this month!! Matt's sister, Lisa, and her husband, Jim, are Brea's godparents and were visiting so it was the perfect time to get her baptized. Unfortunately, Brea had a blow out in her baptismal gown, which is from the Tiemeier side and is close to 100 years old. Fortunately, my mom got the yucky out and Nora was able to wear it for her baptism.
Babies are such a nice way to start people. ~Don Herrold




No comments:
Post a Comment