Nickname(s): Brea Tortilla, Ba Ba Brea (courtesy of Isla), Ba Ba Brea Tortilla (again, Isla), Oo-me, Oooms, Oo-mers,
Biggest Accomplishment: Starting to cruise along furniture
Biggest Challenge: Virus that started as a fever and ended up with a rash over your entire body! Wednesday was the worst of it and you were irritable all day :(
| Sick :( |
Firsts: First time clapping (5/30), first owie, first time crawling up the stairs, first time riding in the four-wheeler with Carter (he went very slow)
Likes: Her siblings, bubbles, eating, picking up things off the floor, getting into trouble in the bathroom, swimming, watching people brushing their teeth, brushing her teeth, dancing
Dislikes: Getting into her car seat, going to bed at night
Eating: Eating is still going extremely well. She seems to be getting pickier with her food choices and not chowing down as much food as she used to. She can be hit or miss with certain foods. For instance, blueberries. She has LOVED them for weeks and couldn't get enough but recently has turned her nose up at them. So random. She finally (!) learned how to sign 'more' although she doesn't always use it when she wants more food. She is more likely to use it for foods like she really enjoys (read: ice cream). I have given her peanut butter and strawberries and she didn't have any reactions so I am thankful for that. She doesn't usually scream for more food because I have learned to just fill her plate with a ton of food and let her go to town. She is does stuff her mouth but seems to be able to handle it and we have had very few instances were she gagged on too much food. She is just a trip to watch eat.
She is no longer taking a bottle and either nurses or drinks whole milk from a sippy cup. I do still have a couple bags of breast milk I need to thaw and give her. I can't believe that I had extra milk! It certainly didn't hurt that I only worked part-time and only missed 1 or 2 feedings a day :). I did buy Brea her own sippy cups that had a softer nipple. HOWEVER, much like her sister, Brea decided that she wanted to be like her siblings so she uses the same sippy cups as they do. Also, similar to Isla, she drinks it upside down.
Most exciting thing for mommy is that I stopped pumping after school let out! I cleaned and packed up my pump and will give it to my cousin who is expecting her first baby in December. Oh happy day!!
Sleeping: Sleeping has been going pretty well. Brea still struggles going down for bed and often cries herself to sleep. This is really her choice more than mine. I would be happy to rock her to sleep at night (being my last baby and all) but she does not tolerate that and doesn't really like to cuddle. So she has to figure it out on her own. It rarely lasts longer than 5 minutes. She sleeps through the night and used to wake up around 7 or 7:15. The past couple days she has gotten up at 6:15. Boo!! I'm hoping that being sick was/is to blame and she won't start making that a habit. There are times where she wakes up but plays quietly in her crib for awhile before screaming/crying for me to come get her.
Naps are going pretty well. She has dropped her morning nap and usually sleeps for at least an hour in the afternoon. She has clocked in 2 to 2 1/2 hour naps as well. We both prefer the long naps because everyone is happier when she is well-rested.
| Looking gigantic in her crib |
Temperament: Brea is such a happy baby these days! I didn't appreciate/realize how happy she is until she came down with this virus and was slightly crabby for 4 days and almost unbearably crabby for 1 day. She loves to smile and to 'talk.' She doesn't have much 'stranger danger' yet and will smile at anyone who looks at her. She does have a stubborn/sassy streak in her though! She wants what she wants and isn't afraid to let you know it! She still will scream at the top of her lungs when angry and actually has started throwing things in anger! Oh my!
She isn't much of a cuddler but when I am laying down and I put her on my lap she always lays down with her head on my chest and sits there for a minute or so. I love that! Although it was very sad when she was sick this past weekend, I sure did soak up those cuddles!
The Superficial: My sweet girl! She is just too cute and has the sweetest smile. She is wearing mostly 12 month clothes and size 3 diapers (size 2 still fit but decided to size up). Her hair is coming in very light so she looks like a baldy. She still has one small patch of hair near the back that sticks up when it dries and I just love it! Her eyes are still very blue. She has slightly chubby cheeks and small (adorable) rolls on her thighs.
Teeth: Current count = 4. Her second upper tooth finally popped through! It took the longest time and she had a snaggle tooth grin for awhile. As odd as it looked I will miss that snaggle tooth grin!
Motor Milestones: Brea is still crawling everywhere and doesn't seem to have an interest in learning to walk. She has started to cruise along furniture but doesn't use a 'walker' or stand independently. She will transfer between things with no problem. She pulls up on everything and learned to crawl up the stairs. She ignored them for the longest time but one day Carter was playing up on the first landing and Brea wanted to join him so she crawled up the 4 or 5 stairs to get him. Then she continued up until she got to the top. I followed behind her cheering her on and she looked very proud of herself when she got to the top!
She is clapping her hands and will point at people but not objects. She learned to sign 'more' although it looks like more of a clap than the actual sign. She is perfecting her pincher grip (more of a fine motor milestone). Her new favorite thing to do is pinch me! And boy does it hurt...those little nails are sharp! She certainly doesn't do it to be mean but seems to be more of a comfort thing as she usually does it when she is nursing. My chest and arm are her favorite things to pinch.
Language: Her first word was 'hi.' It was the first thing she said to the doctor this morning when he walked in to great her! She says 'da da' and 'ma ma' but not necessarily in reference to us (I don't think). She is starting to try and mimic what she hears us say! So she 'talks' quite a bit. There have been instances where I have sworn she said a certain word but then couldn't get her to repeat it. Some examples:
- She took a toy phone away from Nora and put it up to her ear and said something that sounded like 'hello' (my mom also heard this one)
- We were playing in the water in the baby pool and I was putting my hand over the water that sprays up and then taking my hand away and saying 'peek-a-boo!' I swear that one of the times I did that Brea said, 'peek-a-boo'
- I was changing Brea's diaper and she was getting wiggly so Carter gave her a Tinker Bell toy and we both heard her say something that sounded like 'thank you'
She loves giving open mouth (wet) kisses and says 'muah' when she does it. The girl loves her found and will say 'mmm' when she eats something tasty!
Other Notables: Brea loves hearing music and dancing. It is so cute watching her shake her little body. She loves to smile and has an infectious laugh! As mentioned above, she got her first owie :(. We were 'swimming' in the baby pool at the club and Brea crawled out the side of the pool. She tried to crawl back in the same way and face planted! She had a little scrape under her nose for about a week.
| Owie |
She will still scream at dinner occasionally so I started saying 'no no no' and shaking my head. I started doing that to see if Brea would copy me. She thinks it is absolutely hilarious and laughs. Sometimes she will even shake her shoulders instead of her head. Hopefully she doesn't always laugh in my face when I tell her no :).
Daddy gave Brea a fork to use for dinner last night and she loved it! Such a big girl!
She loves to climb and doesn't really have any fear. She climbed onto her little chair, tries to climb on top of her walker and will try to stand up in highchairs in restaurants.
Sibling Comparison: Carter was walking at one year. He had also learned how to shut doors, which Brea also loves to do. He actually ate everything too! We had years of flat out refusing to eat so it is crazy to think he used to eat everything. This reminds me that Brea's 'stage' will probably pass as well so I should enjoy it while I can. Carter also was getting his first haircut. This milestone is aways off for Miss Baldy :).
Isla and Brea seem to have more in common these days (it doesn't hurt that their monthly 'updates' match a similar format). Isla also starting using a fork and would eat anything and everything. She was also cruising along furniture but didn't have the confidence to stand independently or walk behind things. She also loved dancing and began to clap and month around this age. She brushed her hair and put a phone up to her ear ~ both things Brea does. Isla was having sleep issues around this time, which I have clearly blocked out. Hopefully this isn't a trend Brea follows.
![]() |
| Not birth order but since it is Brea's birthday I though she should be in the middle :) |
1 Year Stats!
Poor Brea had a doctor's appointment on her birthday, which included 3 shots and a finger poke! She was such a trooper with the finger poke and didn't even cry when she got her finger pricked. She observed the entire time the nurse filled the vile with her blood and was obsessed with the Band-Aid the nurse put on her finger. Brea loved sticking it in her mouth and chewing on it. She even offered it to the doctor when he came in :). She did cry with the shots but settled down easily. Hopefully she isn't crabby for her party this afternoon!
Weight: 18 pounds 13 ounces - 18th percentile
Height: 28.5 inches - 31st percentile
Head Circumference: 45 centimeters - 49th percentile
She is a very healthy gal and we don't have any concerns. As for me, I am doing okay that my baby is a year old. I was an absolute mess when Carter turned one but I know all the fun things that are in store for Brea. It is certainly bittersweet but I am so happy to see her healthy, growing, and learning. We love you such much Brea!! Happy Birthday to you!

No comments:
Post a Comment