Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day Mom - Love, Carter

So Carter gave me an early Mother's Day present this morning. Clue: It was warm, wet and sent with love. Any guesses?


It all started last night when an out-of-town friend came over to my folks to visit and meet Carter. Just as I was explaining what a devil-child he was - I stopped short of giving him horns and a tail (FYI, he was up Friday night from 1 am to 4 am and we still weren't over it :) ) - he made a liar out of me. Why do kids always do that? Anyway, the words fussy baby were still coming out of my mouth as my little Carter slept like an angel in her arms for almost two hours. I swear I looked over and saw the outline of a halo. My normally loud sleeper was completely silent and the only movement he made was a sly smile right after my mom mentioned that he poops a lot - rolling my eyes and shaking my head - only my son :).

So we took him home and he went on to sleep for 5 hours - on just my breast milk! He got up at 12:30 and while I was making his formula bottle I thought for sure that he would go on and sleep for another 5 hours. We have been giving him a formula bottle at night in hopes that he will sleep longer... What is the saying, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. Well, that should apply to babies as well because 3 hours later Carter got up! I know I should have been thrilled but I had already mentally prepared myself for 5 hours so 3 hours went bye in a flash. I got Mr. Man up and began to change him.

Side Note: I have been changing Carter on my bed. It was an idea I got from a friend to minimize the number of times I have to get out of bed. I have a portable changing pad and all the supplies on the pack n' play. It has worked well for us...

Back to the story, I got him up and was in the process of changing him when I heard a little fart. I put the diaper over him and waited until he was done. I thought he was finished and he was pitching a fit so I proceeded to put on his diaper rash cream (he has been battling a nasty case of diaper rash). I had the cream on my finger heading toward his bottom when I heard a loud cry, grunt, fart and then FLYING POO! It flew about 2 feet directly onto my knee. I sat there in shock replaying what had just happened in slow motion in my mind. I snapped out of it and quickly put the cream on his bottom and tightened his diaper. So now I guess my baby is part swine and part chimp as now he is throwing his feces at people :). Okay, he didn't so much throw it as it projectiled out of him but I like to stick with my animal theme. Seriously, I think poop would have ended up on the other side of the room had my knee not been there but I digress.

I put him back in his bouncer so I could go to the restroom and soak my pajama pants. Walking to the restroom I smiled and chuckled to myself, Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Grete said...

I've heard that if you put a little rice milk/cereal (something of the sort that you feed babies when they first start eating food) in their milk bottle it gives them enough nourishment to let them sleep longer at night. Might be worth giving it a shot!