Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Potty Training!

So we have some pretty exciting news in our house...Carter is in big boy undies!! And he is doing a great job. This whole potty training thing came up kinda randomly especially since I had planned to put it off for awhile. Carter has been sitting on the potty since last summer but not really potty training in any way. If I would catch him trying to go I would just put him on the potty. But other than that I wasn't pushing the issue. And the amazing thing is that I really wasn't stressing about the whole thing because I really didn't think he was ready....but come to find out I guess I just wasn't ready :).

I had bought Carter some big boy undies (BBUs as daddy calls them) awhile ago to start him getting excited about wearing them. In fact, the week of Joanna's wedding he insisted on wearing them one morning! Not the week I wanted to start a potty training adventure. I didn't want to discourage him so I took him over to Matt's parents in his undies and told them if he had an accident to just put him back in a diaper. His body just wasn't ready at the time to start training - he was going very frequently. Needless to say, he didn't last long and didn't ask about his undies again until this summer.

At the beginning of the summer, Katie enrolled Addison in potty training bootcamp. She did great and was potty trained within a week! But it was all very exhausting for me and I was just a bystander. Katie had a whole week of being tied to the house and putting Addison on the potty every so often and constantly asking/reminding her if she had to go. It worked but the thought of having to take a week vacation just to stay home and potty train didn't sound like much fun to me :). So I made the decision to wait until Carter really started to show signs that he was ready, which I didn't think would happen for awhile especially since he was a boy.

But then it happened...we don't put the kids in swim diapers when they are in the backyard pool. We figure if they have a #2 situation we dump the pool anyway so we don't worry about it. In fact, Carter had a #2 situation about a month ago. Anyway, my mom has a little portable potty outside for Addison if she has to go while playing in the pool. I don't know if Carter thought that was cool or if he was more aware since he didn't have a diaper on but he started asking to use the potty when swimming outside. And! He actually would go on the potty! Of course, we made a big deal and gave him M&Ms (he chooses the colors).

Then the other night, he was running around nakey after bath (he does that sometimes) when he stopped and said, "I go potty." And ran into our bathroom. I set him down and he went! So on Saturday I took the plunge. When we were at home or at grandma's house, he was in big boy undies. He did really well and the only accidents he had were minor - like he started going but stopped himself and finished on the potty.

Sunday was more good news as he told Matt's parents he had to go when they were babysitting and he went several times when we were having dinner at Katie and Ryan's house. We even made a trip to Target with no accidents. We went to Target for more big boy undies and Carter loved picking out his Thomas and Disney underwear (not a lot of options for toddler boys by the way).

This is all very exciting but still a work in progress. Carter still needs a diaper at nap and overnight - he probably will for the foreseeable future. And I am not super confident taking him out and about because he really doesn't like to go on a potty without an insert. And he hasn't gone #2 yet - in the potty or in his undies so it will be interesting to see what happens there. Hopefully I am not jinxing myself but I wanted to give Carter a big CONGRATULATIONS for being such a big boy!

Potty UPDATE: After the first full day of potty training at daycare the results are in! Carter went poopy for Matt's parents but he had one #1 accident at my mom's house and a few false alarms. All in all, not too bad!! Good Job Carter!

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." ~Author Unknown




No comments: