When is your due date?
According to an ultrasound I had around 9 weeks, my due date is May 13th - Mother's Day!
How far along are you now?
I will be 18 weeks this Friday, which means I am two weeks away from my ultrasound!
When did you find out?
I received the Positive Pregnancy Test on September 11th. After a false alarm the month before I waited an entire week after I was 'late' to test! It was torture but totally worth it when the second line appeared almost immediately. I always have tested with Matt around so he found out when I found out - actually with Carter Matt was the one who told me I was pregnant. Needless to say, we were completely thrilled.
Was it planned?
Definitely. I was getting baby fever around Carter's 2nd birthday. So after we got back from Mexico, we decided to 'see what happens.' After conceiving VERY quickly with Carter, Matt and I were surprised to find that sometimes things don't always happen when you want them to. I know. My family is planning a beach vacation at the end of July so I told Matt in August that if we didn't conceive we would have to stop trying. I did not want to miss that vacation - ha! When I realized I was pregnant and due in May I couldn't have been happier - not only because we were blessed with another child but that I would be off the entire summer. I have no doubt that was in God's plan. :)
Will you be finding out the gender this time?
We will not be finding out the sex of Baby #2. This was Matt's decision as I left it up to him since I didn't want to find out with Carter. It doesn't bother me that we won't be finding out...I loved having Carter be a surprise and know that I will feel the same way with this one. That being said, I have major feelings that this baby is a boy. With Carter, I guessed he was a girl but didn't have strong feelings either way.
That being said, I do not have a preference on the gender of this baby. Most people probably assume that I want a little girl and while I would love to have a daughter someday the thought of Carter having a brother completely melts my heart.
How have you been feeling?
I felt fine at first. A little nausea (which I didn't have with Carter) and some MAJOR food aversions (again, something I didn't have with Carter). I was about 8 weeks and still wasn't feeling too tired and was all excited about it because I remember just being completely exhausted the first trimester with Carter. Yeah....the nausea went away and the exhaustion set in and it definitely seemed worse since I now have a toddler! I have to give Matt major credit for taking over the household duties.
Now that I am in my 2nd trimester (already?!) I am definitely not as tired but still don't feel like I have my energy back completely. Partly, I blame work because it has been so busy I am ususally working through lunch and staying a little late. I am showing A LOT sooner than I did with Carter. That is to be expected with a second pregnancy but OMG I look at my stomach before bed and it just seems huge! Some other things are getting bigger too, which is more exciting to Matt than to me :).
I have my monthly appointment tomorrow and just as Dr. Martin predicted at my last appointment, I started feeling movement this week!!!! I was getting a little worried that I haven't felt the baby move since you are supposed to start feeling it earlier with your second pregnancy. But it was like Baby knew I needed a little reassurance because Tuesday morning at work I felt him/her :). Happy Day!
What does Carter think?
Carter knows he is going to be a big brother although does not grasp the meaning of that yet. I say things about having a new baby and he always replies, 'no, old baby' (referring to himself). But while Matt was out of town for work Carter did the CUTEST thing. We were chillin' on the couch and he looked at me, pulled up my shirt and said, 'let me see the baby.' I showed him and he replied, 'awww.' He has also offered up 'New Mr. Pig' to the new baby. Love that boy!
For the longest time Carter said he wanted a brother and that the baby was a boy. But in the past couple weeks he has changed his tune. Time will tell!
Other notables:
September 28th - first doctor's appointment and once again the doctor couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler. And again I was ordered to go to ultrasound. Unfortunately they didn't have any openings when I was there so I had to come back later in the day. Needless to say the next couple hours at work I was a little distracted. We went to the ultrasound room and when she put the wand on my belly I didn't really see anything. I wanted her to say 'oh yeah here is the heartbeat' but she went on and on about measuring my uterus and checking my ovaries. Finally, she said this little sack is where the baby and went on to measure the heartbeat - best sound ever! 180 beats per minute. Everything looked fine and I was measuring a couple days behind what I thought, which may have explained why we couldn't get a heartbeat with the doppler. They gave me an updated due date of May 13th (vs. the May 10th I had calculated).
October 31st - I went in for an integrated screen, which is a combination of an ultrasound and series of bloodwork to check for any abnormalities. I didn't do this with Carter because at the time the group didn't have an ultrasound tech that was qualified to do it (they need an additional certification) and would have had to go to Iowa City so I declined.
Since The Group was able to do it and my insurance covered it I decided to go ahead and get the testing done. It will be nice to get peace of mind and it was really fun to see the baby again! It was amazing to see the difference a couple weeks made. Last time, it looked like a little peanut and this time the second the ultrasonographer put the wand on my belly, the baby looked like a baby! Tiny of course, but we could see the head, body, arms and legs. He/she was all stretched out chillin'. Everything looked great and the heart rate was 168. The ultrasonographer even said she was taking additional pictures because she has to be re-certified each year using picures and our baby was a condender for her to send in. Too cute!
November 11th - my monthly appointment (14 weeks). It was the first appointment where I had to fly solo. Matt always comes with me but a very important meeting at work popped up and he felt he couldn't miss it. No biggie, other than he totally keeps me calm in the waiting room. My blood pressure is usually high when the nurse takes it at the beginning of the appointment. I am just so anxious to hear the heartbeat that I can't calm myself down...but luckily it wasn't high enough that they were concerned and my bottom number was perfect.
I saw Dr. Martin who I really like. She even remembered seeing me from when I was pregnant with Carter, which is amazing since I think I only saw her once. She mentioned that she noticed a slight bump already - something I already knew since I feel huge and most of my pants don't fit. Anyway, she only a to search for a little bit before finding the heartbeat :). 160 beat per minute and it appeared that baby was hanging out on the left side.
I think that catches everybody up! I will be posting updates and belly pics again but have only taken two so far :(. Until next time...
"A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." ~Robert Brault
No comments:
Post a Comment