Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas 2013!

We had a great Christmas season this year! I have loved having all of the decorations out and we planned just enough fun Christmas activities :).

Monday, December 23rd
I decided to take the Monday before Christmas off and it was such a great decision. Hello 5 day weekend! It worked out perfectly because I went to Heather's workout class in the morning and was able to go out to lunch with my friends Megan and Theresa! Megan was visiting from DC and I was so excited to see her as it has been way too long :). We had a nice time catching up at lunch ~ we tried a new tapa sandwhich place that was pretty good. Then Megan and her husband Ryan were very brave and hung out at my mom's house with all of the kiddos for a little bit!

Monday night was the Osborn's annual Christmas party! Usually they have their party of Christmas Eve but decided to do it a day earlier this year so our fun wouldn't be interrupted by having to leave for church ;). It was also the first time we decided to get a babysitter for the kids. Even though everyone asked about the kids, we were glad to be able to relax without worrying that one of our children were getting into something or rearranging the Osborn's Christmas tree (ahem Carter). Our children were missed and Sue even mentioned that she cleaned the dog toys just for them....I had forgotten that that is all they played with last year - ha! We had a great 'grown up' time and the kids had fun with Savannah and Cecilie.

Tuesday, December 24th
Christmas Eve!! The girls went to Body Attack in the morning and then took the kids swimming after. Matt met me there with out kiddos. Two great things happened at the pool! #1 - Isla really enjoyed swimming! It was such a change from this summer when she just wanted to walk around the pool vs. actually getting in it. She loved splashing in the shallow end and went down the frog slide and the big slide once (and once was enough for her). She was so cute but got so chilly! Poor thing was shivering towards the end. #2 - Carter passed his swim test and got to go down the big slide by HIMSELF!! He has gone down the big slide alone before since they allow this during swim lessons so the bigger news is the swim test. He had to swim down AND back in the deep area by the slide without touching the bottom ~ he did great! Addison also tried the swim test and couldn't quite make it down and back but I think it was mostly because she kept stopping to get her hair out of her face :). She is so much more confident in the water than over the summer. Everyone had a great time and the only hiccup was when the boys (both Carter and Gus) were pouting because they couldn't get in the hot tub.

After swimming was lunch and relaxation at my mom's house. The kids decorated sugar cookies and watched The Muppets Christmas Carol (a Christmas tradition for us).




Then before we knew it, it was time to start getting ready for church.
The Kids!

Me with my babies...I have no idea why Matt didn't join us for this pic


We went to 6 o'clock mass. My parents went a little early so we could actually get a seat in the church as opposed to 'overflow' seating, which is where we sat last year and it just doesn't feel like church. We joked before getting the kids in the car for church that Carter and Addison were listed as 'probable' for behaving, Isla was 'questionable' and Gus was 'doubtful.' We were using out Fantasy Football lingo because Matt just WON our league this year!!

Championship Trophy - holla!


Church went great! Luckily, we had plenty of snacks as they kept both Isla and Gus occupied for the most part. Unfortunately, Gus saw that the kid in front of us had marshmallows and then kept requesting 'marshmallow?' for the rest of the service :). Isla was either entertained by food or by going from person to person and inspecting their mouths. I do NOT know why this was so fun for her but she would point to whoever was holding her mouth and just giggle uncontrollably. Such a silly girl! Carter was very interested in the crucifix and who was hanging from the cross. My mom said he asked really good questions.

After church it was back to my parent's house for a Christmas Eve feast of tacos and enchillida soup ~ very random and very good! Then we went back to our house where I let the kids open their Christmas jammies! All I wanted was a picture of the two kids in their jammies in front of the Christmas tree....

Not shown...Carter pouting in the corner refusing to get his picture taken



Wednesday, December 25th
Christmas!! Happy Birthday Jesus and Happy Birthday Cory!! Christmas day was jam packed. We opened gifts at our house first thing. Carter woke up at 7 and I made him wait until Isla got up to open gifts, which is pretty much torture for a 4 year old child. Isla didn't get up until 8!! Now before you think I am completely heartless, I did let Carter open up his stocking and when it became clear that Isla was sleeping in I let Carter open one gift. Now, I think I posted the story about Carter's air craft carrier. If not, long story short, it was supposed to be from Santa but ended up being from Mom and Dad after Carter spotted it in the basement. Now I wrapped it almost immediately after that because Carter kept asking just to 'look' at it. I had it in the way back of all the presents and honestly I didn't even realize that Carter knew it was under there. I should have known that my son would notice these things because when I said he could open ONE gift he made a beeline for the aircraft carrier digging behind all the other gifts to find it...stinker! The good thing was that it kept him occupied until Isla woke up.

Isla didn't know what to think when I brought her down Christmas morning and she was a little crabby that I woke her up. After the fiasco the night before, I thought I would try again and get one picture of the two kids in their Christmas jammies in front of the tree...

Not shown...Isla crying on the floor refusing to get her picture taken :)
We spent a good half an hour ripping open gifts. Carter was elated that he got his great white shark, baby orca and stingray but couldn't get over the fact that his baby hammerhead was nowhere to be found...to be fair he JUST started asking about the hammerhead so Santa was out.





We rushed out the door to go to my parent's house for another gift opening...we picked up Great Grandma on the way. Carter showed everyone his new loveys and was excited to open more gifts. Carter got an easel, a Dusty racetrack and Shark pillow pet! Isla got some new clothes, tea party dishes and a doll stroller.

Then it was over to Matt's folks for presents and lunch. Carter got monster truck, flying airplane and play mat. Isla got a Sophia doll, Little People Princess Horse castle, kitchen and a doll, stroller and car carrier.

Back to my folks for crab leg dinner and birthday cake for Cory! Had a great day but it was back to our house to clean up the mess from the morning and the kids played with their new toys. Carter was excited for draw on his easel and the first thing he drew is his farm, his name with a heart and the letter 'L.' He told me it said Carter loves mom :). Put the kids to bed because Matt and I had to go into work on Thursday :(. That should definitely be illegal.

I took some photos of us opening gifts on Christmas morning but took none the rest of the day. At first I was really bummed when I uploaded my photos and half the day was missing. But then I read something about sometimes we are too busy taking pictures that we miss out on memories...I had a really great day making memories!
'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.' Luke 2:14



No comments: