Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School!!

My baby boy, the one I swear I just gave birth to, started preschool on Thursday, August 23rd! Can you believe it?! I have a preschooler! Carter did great just as I suspected he would and I didn't cry at all as I suspected I would. :)

The first day was mostly just a 'welcome to school' day. It was just an hour and a parent had to stay but it seemed like they did a mini-version of what a normal school day will be like for the kids. I prepped Carter all week that he was going to preschool so he was very excited. I kept asking him 'what happened to my baby?' and he always replied ' I growed up.' So true.

Carter was really excited to wear his backpack and found his nametag right away. He also found his hook, which is only two away from his BFF Gavin (or Gav as Carter likes to call him). Gavin was already there when we arrived so they quickly started playing together while the teacher waited for everyone else. Once everyone arrived, they sang the 'Good morning' song, danced, took attendance and read a book before making a line to go to the playroom. Most of the parents got down on the floor with their kids and played with them but my friend Amanda and I decided to just sit back and watch Carter and Gavin interact and play. We both really enjoyed just watching them and their personalities. For instance, Carter danced all around during "The Freeze" song while Gavin was only comfortable tapping his little foot. :)

It was really funny because one of the rules of the playroom is that you have to put away a toy before getting another toy out (we try this at my house too). Anyway, Gavin was playing with a big garbage truck when he got up to walk away. He took a couple of steps, stopped and then turned around and started picking up the truck. Amanda leaned over to me and said, "is he doing what I think he is doing?" He was! He put away the truck before moving on to play in the kitchen area. Isn't it amazing the things they will do when other people ask them? Carter played nicely and picked up his toys when Mrs. Myers rang the gong, lined up nicely, washed his hands before snack, ate most of his snack, and threw away his garbage when Mrs. Myers excused him.

And before we knew it time was up and I took him back to Grandma Judy's. I was so proud of him and he looked so old in the class. Three years went by so fast. Most of the kids were on the best behavior that day so it will be interesting to see how that changes once they are more comfortable there and there are no parents around!

Carter's first day without a parent is on Tuesday, August 28th and am excited to see what he says about his day.

first day of school
Daddy Hugs before leaving
daddy hugs

 
"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." ~John Dewey






No comments: