Likes: Playing outside, being independent, being at the pool or the park, turning on/off lights in the house, dancing
Dislikes: Getting sunscreen on, being told no, when mommy doesn't understand what she wants, being told what to do, having her diaper changed or sitting still for long periods of time.
Biggest Achievement: Taking her first steps!!
Biggest Challenge: At the beginning of the month it was teething but towards the end it is just making sure she is safe and trying to figure out what she wants!
Sleep: Without jinxing anything, I would say that sleep has been pretty good and pretty consistent. We like to have her go down around 7:30 or 8:00 but with summer and fun neighbors she has been staying up past her bedtime. She has just rolled with it for the most part. During the week, she sleeps in past 7 and some mornings I have to wake her up to get out the door ~ I do not like to do that!! She always looks so peaceful.
![]() |
| So Adorable! |
![]() |
| Baby Feet! |
This is what I love about this age is that even though she can/will still get crabby when tired things are some much even keeled. No crazy overtired freakouts just more go with the flow :).
Eating: At the beginning of the month by post would have read something like this...'ZOMG my baby will not eat!' But lately she has been eating like a horse so I am not freaking out as much :). I reread Carter's 14 month post and mentioned him having good eating and bad eating days and Isla is following suit. At the beginning of the month, she did this thing where she would only eat one thing during any given meal time. So if she started out her meal by eating grapes that is what her entire meal consistented of. She would spit anything and everything else out. Also frustrating is that her opinions seem to change from one night to the next; one night she went to town on taco meat we made. Loved it! But tried it again and she acted like 'I can't believe you are feeding me this!"
But towards the end of the month, I could hardly keep enough food on her plate before she had it down. I am much less stressed about her habits then Carter's. Which is kinda strange. Part of it is because I just don't have the energy to fight two children about their eating habits...also I simply cannot make Isla eat so I just don't even try.
Personality: Still such a happy and spunky girl. She knows what she wants and gets very frustrated when we can't figure it out. Started having tantrums and will just lay her head down and scream when frustrated. I know that I will regret saying this in months/years to come but right now it is really cute. And I know it is mostly out of frustration because she can't yet tell us what she wants.
She still gets this look in her eyes and you just know that she is about to be naughty. For instance, we were hanging out at the baby pool and Isla was sitting nicely enjoying her flavored water bag. Then she started pushing her kid chair over to the adult table and chair and I just knew what she was thinking. And as suspected she pushed it close enough to stand and do this!
She likes to tease. She was 'pretending' to feed the dogs her peanut butter cracker and would giggle and pull it away. She also knows how to push Carter's buttons and takes great joy in doing so...such a stinker!
![]() |
| After I told Isla to leave her brother alone... |
The Superficial: Seems to be getting heavier now that I seem to be toting her around more often to try and save her knees from crawling around the cement. But then my mom bought her a 6-12 month outfit from Old Navy and it was too big on her :). So she is still little but growing. Her hair is getting really long and looks strawberry blonde in the sun but it is really light blonde at the roots. I love having a blondie so hopefully her light hair sticks. Her eyes are still big and blue. She wears a size 2 diaper, a size 2 shoe and mostly 12 month clothes; some smaller but none bigger.
![]() |
| 1 Year Picture |
Teeth: We've been through more teething but I still have no idea how many teeth she has. She definitely has 4 on the top and two on the bottom and I believe some top molars on both sides. She started to love to brush her teeth and, of course, likes to do it by herself. She even wants me to turn the water on so she can rinse her toothbrush :)
Motor Milestones: She is pushing up to stand and standing more frequently and will stand for longer periods of time. She loves to clap and wave and will actually wave on command now when we are leaving. Gives open mouthed kisses and learning to blow kisses. She will put her hand up by her mouth but is working on sending them.
Babbles and has said a few more words but none consistently. My mom and Aunt Natalie swore she said, "thank you" after they gave her something. And my mom swears she was saying 'see?, see?' after picking up my mom's cell phone. Yes, Isla we see that you are doing something you aren't supposed to :). She has said her own name a couple of times and I have heard momma come out of her mouth. Also, the other night in the bath she was playing with a new Minnie toy that my grandma bought her and I said, "Isla, that's Minnie." And Isla said clear as day, "Minnie" But of course wouldnt say it again no matter how many times I tried. She consistently says, 'hi' 'hayden' 'dad' and 'hi dad.' She shakes her head no and yes appropriately for the most part.
She has started mimicking. My mom was 'pretend' screaming 'ahh' when Carter came after her with something during play time and then Isla piped up screaming along. We watched Hotel Transylvania and the kids were saying 'blah blah blah' the rest of the day and Isla even caught on saying 'blah blah.' She has also starting mimicking her Auntie Jo who has been sticking out her tongue :)
She is getting really good walking behind a walker whizzing by things... She loves to climb especially slides. I cannot believe the slide she climbed the other day at the park ~ it was so steep. Also she crawled up the stairs, across the bridge and up another set of stairs and went down the big curly slide all by herself! And then she got mad when I picked her up at the bottom. Because duh! She wanted to get off the slide by herself!
![]() |
| Crawled in by herself...thank you very much |
Other Notables: She gets into everything! Carter was not this way at all. We never really baby proofed for him because he just really didn't bother things. Isla opens all the cabinets and if there is an open outlet she is on it! She is pointing to everything especially if it is something she wants. But there are times when she wants something she just points up to the sky like she is giving a shout out to the Man Upstairs. It is really too funny.
She loves bathtime. Both kids love when the water is running. They sit behind the faucet and collect the water in a cup. They have had numerous fights over who gets to be in the front and Isla will crawl over Carter when he is in front.
Firsts: First steps!! To be fair, I think Carter was the first one to actually see Isla's first steps. Auntie Jo bought her a really fun ball to play with and she was holding on to Matt's chair when we were watching North's baseball game. I was sitting next to Matt and kinda saw by the way her head moved she was walking and it was confirmed by the look on Carter's face! So cute! He got a look of shock and then a huge grin and said, "Isla walked to the ball! Good job Isla!"
We could hardly believe it but she took a few more steps once we got home chasing the very same ball. I love that I got to witness those first steps. :) It is only a matter of time now before she is running around with the rest of them.
Little Sister & Big Brother: Very similar this month. Both were into opening/shutting drawers and I had to watch them to make sure no one got smashed fingers. Eating has been the same for them; bad days and good days. Both were learning to blow kisses and starting to mimick things. Carter knew what a duck and a cat said by now...poor second child I don't even know if we have even talked about what each animal says to Isla. Thought the other day we were driving home and the horses were really close to the fence and I asked Isla what do horses say? And she replied, "na na," which honestly was probably more of a coincidence than anything but it was funny because her timing was perfect!
Carter was having some issues going to bed at this age and I REALLY hope that this doesn't happen with Isla. Carter was also just learning to use a fork and Isla has been feeding herself independently for months ~ her preference of course!
![]() |
| They love each other sometimes too :) |
We love you Isla!!
"What the daughter does, the mother did." ~ Jewish Proverb







No comments:
Post a Comment