We just have so.much.stuff! I couldn't get over it. Everytime we headed back to the old house for more stuff I thought, "this has got to be it." But it wasn't. And then of course we had all of our stuff that had been stored in the storage unit. The fact we at one time had all of the stuff in our old house blows my mind. Where did we put it?!
We closed on Friday, May 17th and the closing on the house was uneventful other than writing the BIGGEST check of my whole life ;). I read it five times just to make sure I had written it out properly. The weather was really nice that day and I took a few loads of clothes over to the new house before going to see the kiddos. It was Ryan's birthday so we went over to my parents' house for a celebratory dinner and to plan out the following day. I really thought I would have the time to get all of the clothes and 'little' stuff out of the old house so all we had to move was the big stuff on Saturday. Ha.Ha.Ha.
Saturday morning, I went to bootcamp with the kids so we would be out of Matt, Ryan and Mexi's way. Afterward working out, I went over to help. First trip with stuff in our brand new house? I hit the hallway wall with Isla's closet drawer and marred it. All star mover right here. The first couple of loads from the old house found a place in the new house but the loads after that ended up in the garage...and would you believe that is still where they are?! Part of the reason is that we are getting new floors in the living room so we didn't want to put everything away only to have to move it again. The other reason we just haven't had the time.
I plan to publish my post about this...but my Grandma TT passed away the Thursday morning before the move. Luckily for us, the visitation and funeral weren't until the beginning of the following week so we didn't have to delay closing or change our move in date. But unfortunately we it did mean that we had to be away from the house for a couple of days. The timing was just bad. Please know that I am not complaining about the fact that we had to leave or anything like that but it just made for a crazy week. Not to mention the fact that we had a wedding Memorial Day so we had to be gone again. And then Matt's sister was in town, which was so fun but also made a lot of evening away from the house. But we did get to have our FIRST barbeque at the new house with Matt's family and it was just perfect! It was nice to have a seat for everyone and an island where we could prepare and serve the food. Just having the additional space felt great! Unfortunately Carter was sick that evening but other than that it was really fun hosting everyone!
So now that we have been in the house for almost a month (!) I am starting to feel like we are starting to get settled. The third stall of our garage is still full of stuff but at least it is semi-organized. Also, the flooring guys are coming in tomorrow to finish the living room floor so we should finally be able to organize the kids' playroom. We even have hung some decor on the walls!
It will be a work-in-progress for awhile but so far I have just been LOVING the new house. And we are really loving the new neighborhood. To be honest, during the entire building process I was always a little apprehensive about our location. Even though it is only 2 miles away from my mom it seems so far out. We leave across the road from a polo field and farm so it seems so rural to me. I almost ran over a goat one morning!
But in reality it isn't that far away and our neighborhood is so fun! There are a ton of families with young children. At least 15 Carter's age! And apparently our block liked to party :). The past 2 weekends someone has hosted a party in their yard complete with keg and yummy food. And last weekend a bags tournament. This coming weekend is a pool party the next street over. Now that the weather has been nicer, people are outside and we are meeting more neighbors. I am on name overload but I do know there are like 4 other Lauras that live in the neighborhood. So strange! The house is really starting to feel more like home...
So that has been our moving experience. Hopefully I can take post some pictures of the house soon!
"Where we love is home. Home where are feet may leave, but not our hearts."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
No comments:
Post a Comment