Friday, March 13, 2009

Y Frustrations!

For those of you who don't know I enjoy taking group fitness classes at the Bettendorf and North YMCAs. It is something my mom, our friend Donna and I have done for the past several years and we think it is not only a good workout but FUN :). So anyway the past month the Y has "rolled out" the new Body classes, which are supposed to be the new and "cutting edge" fitness classes. While I am for the Y taking interest in what's new out in the fitness world we were all frustrated and disappointed to learn that these classes would now be pay classes. Please note that before this all group fitness classes were FREE! For someone who attends group classes 5 times a week, $20 for 12 punches would become very expensive so needless to say were ARE NOT HAPPY! The cost coupled with the fact that these Body Classes have taken the place of some of our favorite free classes has gotten us very frustrated.

So frustrated in fact that all three of us have written to the "head honchos" at the Y and Donna even wrote a Letter to the Editor in the QC Times. Unfortunately, some of Donna's concerns were cut out of her piece when the article went to print and now people can comment on her concerns. It amazes me how many people don't think it is "that big of a deal" that the Y would implement these pay classes. The Y is a nonprofit organizations for goodness sake and now they are the only gym in the QC that charges extra for group classes - not even Gold's gym does this!!! The other issue is that now the classes have participant limits whereas before it was "come one, come all." It is because of these limits that I have been unable to take any of the Body classes (they were offered for free for a two week tryout but by the time I got to the Y for a 5:30 class, when I get off work at 5, all the equipment was taken).

So here it is - we need your support!! If you have anything to say on this issue - I would encourage you to write a comment. Or if you do not attend the Y but belong to another gym I would like to know what, if any, classes charge additional costs to its members. Or if you have taken the Body classes please let me know your opinion - are they really that great?

I know it may not seem that important but it is a huge issue for us. So to read all about it please click here.

No comments: