So what did we learn...well, last night was all about the second stage of labor - PUSHING! Char mentioned that most of the pain comes from the contractions to get to 10 cm and pushing is more about pressure but when she used terms like "ring of fire" I don't know if I believe her (and I may not be able to listen to Johnny Cash's song the same way ever again!). She also mentioned that 90% of labor is in your head - moms do you agree? Then we got to practice pushing and in a variety of different positions! Matt's duty was to be "the gatekeeper" and make sure the "gate" (aka my leg) shuts slowly and to make sure to not shut the gate when the baby is "down there." :)
Next, it was up to the 5th floor for our hospital tour!! We got to see the labor/birthing and postpartum rooms. The labor rooms were quite interesting... the bottom of the bed completely comes off for "easy access" and there is a spotlight that will shine directly on my pikachu. A VERY bright light I might add - maybe we do enter this life as we leave it "going towards the bright light." Anyway I imagine the light like it is coming down from Heaven welcoming my baby into the world but Char mentioned something about the doctor needing to see better... I don't really remember as a choir of angels were singing in my head when she turned the light on. What I DO remember is that Char mentioned the room we were in was her "lucky" room - she hasn't had a delivery in that room that lasted more the 6 hours!! And with that all of the pregnant ladies' ears perked up as we memorized the room number - Matt actually saved the room number in his phone :) - please let me get room 5104!
Then it was off to tour the postpartum rooms! Matt and I actually felt like pros as the room we toured happened to be the same room Jon-Michael and Amanda stayed in with Gavin. We didn't even see the need to go in - been there, done that! :) Finally, we went back to the classroom to discuss c-sections. All-in-all it was a very eventful night!
Did you think that I would talk about childbirth prep without an A-Dizzle update?! Well, he surprised us once again by showing up this week and now he talks to Matt more than ever. What does he say? Actually, we don't know as he mumbles in slang most of the time so Matt just nods his head and laughs. We were able to make out the following statements:
- "You could watch Snoop Dogg videos" in response to Char when she mentioned the birthing rooms had DVD players and you could watch anything you wanted.
- "Will the nurses heat up our pizza and bring them to you?" At first Matt and I thought he was asking if he could bring his "piece" to the hospital so we were relieved to find out he was talking about pizza. Char laughed but said that nurses had more important things to do - you know like take care of your wife/girlfriend/baby mama and your newborn - than to feed you on command. She was much more polite than I just made her sound.
Ah, A-Dizzle what will we do after next week when we won't see you anymore? Knowing our luck they will probably be giving birth the same day as Matt and I! As long as they don't take room 5104 or I will have to bring my "piece!" - just kidding!! Oh and I thought I should mentioned that A-Dizzle isn't the only person we judge in our class - we also make fun of a Marla, the class know-it-all, so our judgments are really equal opportunity :). I know we are not nice people...
1 comment:
Laura, I have been enjoying your posts, especially reading about A-Dizzle. Little advice for you, by the time you are ready for the bed to break down . . . you won't care what they are doing! And yes, I agree, contractions are worse than pushing and a lot of labor is a mental thing. One way or another, that baby is coming out so don't stress about the pain, you'll do great! Also, don't be surprised if none of it goes like they explained in class! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy. Can't wait to hear Baby Hatz is here.
Post a Comment