Thursday, April 11, 2013

Carter's 4th Birthday & Shark Party!

Carter had a great birthday! I took Monday and Tuesday off from work to spend with my man. We didn't do much but hang out and wish the weather were warmer. Tuesday, I stayed at preschool with Carter so I got to see all the fun he has there twice a week. Also on Tuesday, my mom caught the flu but {again} so I ended up watching Addison and Gus too. It was fun! The more the merrier it kinda of the Tiemeier philosophy :).

Then things got rocky. Wednesday night, I put Isla to bed. She fussed so I went in for a standard 'insert pacifier' trip. No big deal. Then she fussed some more and Matt went back there because I was hanging with Carter. All I heard Matt say was, "oh my god, oh my god..."  I went back to find Isla and her crib completely covered in vomit! Oh no! It was so much puke I could hardly believe that it came out of my little girl. So we stripped the bed and washed her up. Matt thought maybe she had too much for dinner as our girl is known for chowing down. But deep down I knew that wasn't it. She was up for awhile after playing and what not then...more puke. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

So I stayed home with Isla Cakes on Thursday. She seemed better Thursday night so we went to my mom's for dinner after Addison and Carter's swim lessons. Carter passed his swim class!! On to the Ray/Starfish group. The rest of the evening was fairly uneventful.

Carter crawled into bed with me in the middle of the night Thursday night, which he will do on occasion so I didn't think much of it...then I heard him gag a little and then some more. I yelled at Matt to get a bowl because he was going to throw up but it was too late...I held out my hands for him as if that was going to help. Poor buddy didn't even wake up until we picked him up to get him in the bath. We threw everything in the washer and got Carter situated for the rest of the night.

Matt and I stayed home with both kids on Friday. Carter actually seemed much better but had the dry heaves all day and the 'other.' Isla ran a low-grade fever most of the day and into the evening and was so fussy. She would sleep on and off but wouldn't let you put her down and by Friday evening she was just beside herself. I was starting to get concerned because she wasn't drinking that much and hadn't had a wet diaper in a while. I had a complete freakout and contemplated taking her to the emergency room. That girl cannot afford to lose ANY weight!

The only silver lining with Carter getting sick on Friday was that he would hopefully be healthy for his party on Sunday. But one by one the flu bug was attacking our family. I swear almost any time my mom called or texted me over the weekend it was because someone else had fallen ill. Ryan, then Katie, Addison and finally Matt on Saturday night. I was so panicked my Saturday night that I was going to get sick for Carter party that I made a 10 o'clock run to Hy Vee to pick up some grape juice. I read online that it could help prevent the flu so I figured it couldn't hurt. My motto on Sunday was just to make it until 3 pm and I prayed and prayed the flu would stay away. It wouldn't have been the end of the world to miss his party but it would have totally bummed me out!

The good news is that I have {so far} been spared and was able to host Carter Shark-themed birthday party! And what a party it was! When I asked Carter what kind of party he wanted I was a little surprised when he responded, "a Shark party. Because sharks are my favorite." So I decided to have a pool party for Carter man! We rented out a room at the Y and got pool time for Carter and his buddies. Carter was very particular about the things he wanted at his party and we happily obliged. He wanted a 'pin the tooth on the shark game' that we made and a shark pinata. An hour was the perfect amount of time to play the game, sing Happy Birthday, eat cupcakes and open presents. Carter was totally into opening presents this year. He would open the gifts previous years but would get distracted by a toy and be done. This year he kept right on rolling. Setting the toy aside and moving right onto the next gift. Carter is so spoiled. His gifts filled up the back of our van. He looked at them all and said, "I love all my presents!"

The swimming part was really fun! We picked a good time of the day because the water features were on and it wasn't too crowded. The nice weather outside probably helped the crowd too. The only sad thing about Carter's party was that Addison and Gus couldn't be there. Addison was still recovering from the flu and was SO SAD about missing the party. We were sad she wasn't there too!!

Below are some pics from Papa Dave's camera...still working on getting the pics off my camera :)

Happy Isla!

Swimming

Going down the slide!


So there you have it! It was a fun but exhausting weekend! A Big Thanks to everyone who came to the party and made the day so special for my boy!

One party down; one party to go! If we have another baby we will have to spread the birthdays out a little bit :).

"The way I see it, you should live everyday like it's your birthday." ~ Paris Hilton

No comments: