Thursday, April 16, 2009

2 weeks and First Doctor's Appointment

Baby Carter is 2 weeks old already! His due date was tomorrow so it is weird to think I could have still been pregnant - although with my lack of sleep lately that doesn't sound that bad... The past week has been well in a word - exhausting! Carter was the best baby the first week he was home. He was sleeping 3-4 hours at night and going right to sleep without fussing. It was amazing and I felt so lucky. Well Easter weekend was fun-filled and ever since then he has been a fuss bucket. My sweet little baby has been replaced with one that is up every couple of hours to eat and fussing for an hour in between feedings. But we are hanging in there and I don't plan on sending him back anytime soon :).

Today was also Carter's first doctor's appointment and my first trip with Carter by myself (we picked up Daddy on the way). We managed to get there on time and check in and that is when I told Matt I forgot the diaper bag in the car and to go retrieve it for me. Matt came back empty handed and then it occurred to me - I FORGOT Carter's diaper bag!!! Say what? How does a mother forget her baby's essentials? It just blows my mind and I still can't believe I did that but at least I didn't forget the baby :).

As luck would have it the doctor's office had diapers and wipes for us to use - this was after the nurse asked if we were first time parents (evidently it was that obvious). She told us to strip Carter down to his clean diaper to have him weighed. So I was changing his diaper when all of a sudden... hello Old Faithful. A geyser of pee sprayed EVERYTHING! The floor, the table, Carter man, etc. and so on. We felt like complete failures :). The nurse ducked her head in to make sure we knew to meet her in the hall so we had to explain to her that we had a little boy issue and we would be out in a second. After cleaning up the mess, Carter got weighed and it is good news - he weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces! 2 ounces up from his birth weight and 10 ounces up from his going home weight. Yay for Carter and yah for Mama's boobs :). After the appointment we dropped Daddy off at work and went to Grandma T's and took our first walk. Tomorrow is supposed to be BEAUTIFUL and Matt has a half day so hopefully we can spend some time outside.

No comments: