Carter is 3 weeks old today! He is getting bigger and cuter by the day - maybe even by the second :). The past couple of weeks we have had our ups and downs and a couple of nights full of tears from both of us. But overall things have been good especially because of my wonderful husband and mother!! I don't know what I would do without them... Matt helps A LOT around the house because I just can't keep up with the cleaning especially when I have a baby on my boob every couple of hours. My mom has come over many a morning so I can get some additional sleep and has been doing our laundry. It has been so nice to have things like that taken care of as we are trying to adjust. Also Matt's folks have watched the baby while we take quick trips to the store... Some say it takes a village to raise a child and in our case this has been true :).
Carter man has been really good and is sleeping better at night. He was getting up every 2-3 hours, which is normal for a baby his age but it takes about a half hour or so to feed and change him and then he would fuss for another half hour to an hour, which made for very long nights for mom. Then Matt had his "ah-ha" moment - why not try him in a swing? Our friends swore by this with their daughter Mia and were kind enough to let us borrow their swing and it has been a lifesaver (knock on wood)! Carter is still getting up every 2-3 hours to eat but he is being rocked back to sleep almost instantly! I never thought getting sleep in 2 hour intervals would feel so good!! So a big thanks to the Graham Family for saving my sanity!
Carter is still a little fussy because of gas issues. Coupled with the fact that he isn't a good burper he can be cranky at times (any moms have burping secrets? we have tried every position but he still has a hard time getting it out). One thing I am trying to get used to is his grunting. Gas + No Burp = GRUNTING! Remember when I assured you that our baby was not a pig? Well, he may in fact be part swine but we love him anyway- I have never heard a baby grunt so much in my life! Poor thing!
Motherhood has definitely been one of the most challenging yet rewarding things I have ever done and probably will ever do in my life. I have had frustrating moments at 4 o'clock in the morning when I couldn't get Carter to settle down that have been completely erased when we cuddle on the couch or have our tummy time conversations on the floor. He is just so cute!
As for our first baby, Hayden, she is adjusting fairly well. She does check on Carter every morning but I think she is disappointed when she realizes that he is still here :). For the most part she is gentle but she does like to give him kisses and hasn't quite figured out that she has to watch where she walks when Carter is hanging out on the floor. The biggest adjustment for her has been that visitors are coming over to our house to see Carter and not her. But I just know that Hayden and Carter will be best friends when he is a little older and dropping food on the floor :).
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment