Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Carter's Birth Story - Part One:Laboring At Home

So I am going to try and recount Carter's birth story as honestly as I can so please be advised some facts may fall under too much information - don't say I didn't warn you :)

Carter's birth story actually starts Wednesday night. I was so happy that I made it to April as I had been having a feeling that he was going to come early. Matt was supposed to go to Chicago the next day and to be honest I wasn't really worried about it however; his partner Al had stated he hoped I didn't go into labor because he didn't want to travel to Chicago - he jinxed me :). Even though Matt vetoed any activity that could put me into labor we decided to take Hayden for a walk because it was relatively nice outside. So we walked up to Matt's folks house, then to my folks' house, visited for awhile and then walked home. On the way home I had a couple of contractions but I didn't worry too much about them because they had been coming and going for about a week or so. I just assumed they were braxton hicks. Matt, however, was more concerned. He kept asking me if I felt okay and went into preparation mode as he filled my car up with gas. He said later he had a feeling that I was going to have the baby Thursday. My contractions subsided and I had a great night sleep.

Matt kissed me goodbye @ 5:45 when he left for Chicago and I got up to go to the bathroom, which as of late was not an uncommon occurrence. Well, I sat down and while I was going I heard a pop and a gush of fluid. My initial thought was "oh shit my water just broke!" But I still couldn't believe it so I decided to go back to bed and wait. For the next half hour I tried to sleep but kept going through my head how long it would take Matt to get back from Chicago if this was the real thing and every scenario flashed through my head. At 6:15 I got up to shower for work and there was additional leakage so I just called Matt in tears apologizing that he would have to come home - I just would have felt so bad if he turned around for a false alarm. After calming down a bit, I remembered what Char had said about real labor - that it would progress with a shower so I jumped right in. I figured if it was a false alarm I would still be able to make it to work on time. After my shower I just got ready like I was going to work when I started contracting. So there I was sitting on my bed, getting ready for work, contracting and watching Good Morning America.

Matt was home by 7 and I showed him my water breaking evidence and we decided to go ahead a call the doctor. Dr. Martin returned our page and said that if I thought my water broke to go ahead and go to the hospital! Then it set in we were going to have the baby!! My contractions were about 5 minutes a part - uncomfortable but not painful. I told Matt to call my mom and tell her that she needed to get Baby Hatz's Easter Basket ready because he/she was coming - she mentioned Wednesday night that poor Baby Hatz didn't have anything in his/her basket - I digress.

Anyway, we got a burst of excited energy as Matt made sure the car was packed and I did what every normal laboring woman would do - updated my facebook status :). By the time we were heading out the door my contractions were getting more intense. Matt has said that he knew it was the real thing when he came down the stairs to find me at the bottom on my hands and knees breathing through a contraction. The last thing I remember is backing out of the driveway looking at Hayden watching us from the bay window. Life as we knew it would be changed forever...

Stay tuned for Part Two: Laboring at the Hospital.

No comments: