Monday, April 23, 2012

In the Home Stretch

So we are getting close....really close to adding a new member to our family and I couldn't feel less prepared and more anxious :). To be honest, I don't think we will be 'prepared' like we were with Carter. We are just so busy and at the end of the day we do have everything we need to bring the baby home. Although Matt wants me to make him a list and I know he will get everything on it if I would ever get around to actually putting pen to paper - he is such a blessing!

As mentioned before, I am really anxious about going into labor, which is sort of silly since I really have no control over it. Things will need to be packed last minute and for some reason I keep thinking I won't have time to do it all. I am concerned about where I will be when labor starts (please not at work). With Carter it was all very easy and timely. My water broke first thing in the morning and I had time to pack last minute, 'get ready' and head out. This time could be very different and not nearly as convenient :). But below are some things that I really want to get done before heading to the hospital:
  • Last minute packing of Carter's bag. Most of his things are packed except for clothes since the weather has been so inconsistent.
  • Last minute clothes packing for me...this is actually something I should put on my list for this week since the wardrobe will consist of really comfy, loose fitting clothes
  • Last belly picture before leaving for the hospital. I did this with Carter and would love to continue the tradition. Although in the back of my mind I know I can always do this at the hospital
  • Giving Carter hugs and kisses before leaving for the hospital. I just want to squeeze him before we leave because I will miss him so much and because things will be different when we return to the house. He will no longer be my only child but a big brother and I want to have one last moment with him as my one and only.
On the to test results. I got a call back from the doctor late last week and it appears I do have a mild case of pre-eclampsia. Anything over 300 for protein levels is considered elevated and mine was 390. Right now, I am just monitoring it from home and making sure that no other pre-eclampsia symptoms appear. I have weekly appointments now so I am sure they will be monitoring my blood pressure but the doctor said that we may talk induction on my next visit. So this is freaking me out a little bit. It would elevate some anxiety I described above since we will know when we need to go to the hospital and can be more prepared. But I have heard horror stories about pitocin and at the end of the day I think I would prefer my body to go into labor naturally. Of course, the health of the baby is the most important so if we need to induce I am on board.

Other than that I am huge :). For the most part I feel good. I am still exercising and actually feel better after a workout than I do laying around. I still have been getting some braxton hicks contractions, which always send me into panic mode. I am generally happy but my patience has left the building and can be irritated in 0.5 seconds. I hate this. Especially when I lose my patience with Carter because I know that I am going to be just as tired when we bring the baby home and I don't want to spend my days yelling at Carter out of exhaustion and frustration. Matt continues to be amazing and supportive even when I am irritable. And I am glad he is nesting because I certainly am not. :)


There you have it...we are just plugging away until new baby arrives and turn our lives upside down :). It is exciting and terrifying at the same time.

"Child rearing myth #1: Labor ends when the baby is born." - Anonymous



No comments: